Any damage to the tank?

rpawluk

So i've been running a rather deep sand bed in my refugium and was wondering if there would be any harm in me removing it all in one day. or like when you remove bio-balls from a sump gotta do it part by part.

roman

ab420

I try not to make any major changes too quickly in a reef tank. If you took the whole sand bed out at once, it would seriously limit the nitrate reducing capabilites of the system, which could wreak havoc on the water quality. I would suggest taking out 10% of it each week or something like that.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hold UP! Deep Sand Bed.... IF you dig in there DEEP (Meaning 4"+) you're going to release gasses and such that are trapped deep down. Some of these are very dangerous to your tank. I would do it something like this (I think)...

1) I would work on the "replacement" for the DSP... whatever you're hoping will take the place of it go ahead and get it started like in a bucket or something.. let the bacteria start to colonize it

2) When it IS ready... take the FUGE "Offline" completely from your system and remove/clean as a whole. This way you're not releasing any sulfurous gases into your tank

Hope this helps... now I've never DONE this so I'd wait for someone with detailed experience before attempting. Just take it slow :)