Anthony's RSM 250

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I am contemplating on re working my rockscape - especially the section on the right - right now it's a hugh single pukani rock being held up by a smaller rock and am thinking of breaking the hugh rock down to smaller pieces and reform… do you think it would be okay with all the livestock in there to disturb the sanded etc...
If you've just disturbed your sand bed, that's probably what your cloudiness issue is. It should re-settle.
Can't remember if you are running CPE & Purigen but if the water continues to stay cloudy...you may need to replace them with fresh. The Purigen bag will start looking brown when it needs swapped out.
I do 10gal. WC every 10 days....try to do them on the 10th, 20th, 30th of each month.
Weekly WC stressed me out :stars:

ajbang

Hey Diana - i'm using purigen and chemipure elite as everyone recommended… it began to get cloudy before I reworked my rocks cape… I guess I will try switching out the filter media and see if this helps but it's only been two months and I know ppl here recommend use of 3-4 months

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Replace the CPE every two months and the Purigen every 3 months.

This was advice from Greg back from page 2 of your log.
That's about as long as I let mine go before change also.
Being you may have added yours close to the end of your cycle it may have depleted quicker.
Wouldn't hurt to change them out since you are having issues with cloudy water. (IMO) ;)

Also, vacuum (siphon) out the back chambers of settled detritus that might have collect back there when you do your next WC. If there's a build up, it gets sucked back into the DT. Just in case you haven't done that yet.

Last edited:

ajbang

awesome thanks for advice about detritus on back tank…

I also have a 10 gallon ATO reservoir which i refill once a week - could the water there be going "stale" and contributing to it??

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
If it's just RO/DI water in the ATO container, then no it is not going stale.

ajbang

ok thanks greg…

i changed the media filter earlier today and the water is looking much better already - hopefully it'll be crystal clear tomorrow

ajbang

woke up this morning and the water is still cloudy despite changing media and floss…

is this part of young tank syndrome? wondering if a good water change might do the trick… how frequently can I change the water without doing harm

ajbang

i'm currently doing weekly 5 gallons

here is a pic today - it's actually getting worse - the funny thing is the corals seems to be thriving - my toadstool which didn't open for about week decided to come out today

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Is the glass clean on the above ^ shot? or are we seeing this through some glass algae? If the glass is clean, I would guess an algae bloom too.

ajbang

Hey Glenn - yes the glass is clean… i just did a 10 gallon water change and put extra floss pads in the media basket… hope it goes away sooner rather than later…

Also when can i expect to see coralline algae to appear??

ziggy

too bad you don't have a canister filter just for this situation. Run it for a few days and then throw it away

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
If it is an algae bloom it will run its course in due time. Just keep up with water changes and standard good husbandry.