Anthias...Do's and Do not's in keeping them

kyle1284

I am thinking about getting some Anthias. Very beautiful fish that look good when they are schooling. What are the easier to keep , more peaceful, Anthias that would be a good addition to a 210 gallon? I am thinking about getting either 3 or 4 of them. Thanks for the reply ahead of time !

Robzilla

Make sure you only have one male and plenty of space. They are very active fish and are great for filling space in the water.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
You really have to research the different kinds as some do well in tanks and some do not. Most of the common ones such as dispar, lyretail, and so on will eventually convert to foods but some such as tukas and similar have a history of not. When you get a school one of the females will turn into a male and rule the roost, neat fish and very colorful.

Mojo

kyle1284

i am going to be ordering some from live aquaria. com and the one thing i am worried about is if for some reason the send me 2 males and 2 females. will the dominating male kill the other or will one male turn into a female? the reason why i am asking is becuase a couple of species its a mix grab and can not sell just a male and a couple females

kyle1284

i love the way the Dispar Anthias look. after reading a bit it seems that its perfered that they be in schools of 4 or more. How do you coax the fish into converting to mysis or other fish food?

jpsika08

I had six tiger queen anthias, the most important part for me was to actually make them eat, so for this I QT them in a 50 gal and used Garlic and Vitamin C in their food so they stayed really healthy.

I had to sell them due to some "Technicalities on my system" though when given away they where eating well and looked healthy.

kyle1284

I had six tiger queen anthias, the most important part for me was to actually make them eat, so for this I QT them in a 50 gal and used Garlic and Vitamin C in their food so they stayed really healthy.

I had to sell them due to some "Technicalities on my system" though when given away they where eating well and looked healthy.

what did they respond to the best?

mojoreef

Just a reefer
i love the way the Dispar Anthias look. after reading a bit it seems that its perfered that they be in schools of 4 or more. How do you coax the fish into converting to mysis or other fish food?

Just think Highander, their can only be one. So if you get two males one will most likely revert if not they will fight and then their will be only one. On the feeding, I make my own so its tough to tell you exactly what they went for. If you do a search on Blender mush on this board I believe I put the concept out here.

Mike

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If you have an active refugium, would this serve as feeding for them? I can't imagine feeding them 4 times a day.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
shameless bump on the above question.....if anthias have to eat 4 times a day, would a refugium help lower that or is it literally 4 helpings of "added food"?

tommyboynj

Im wondering the same thing. Recently added a lyretail to my tank and have broken me usual once a day feeding in to two feeds. My anthias seems very active in the morning before lights come on an feeds really well. I then feed at the end of the day also. Question. What do people feed their anthias? Mine seems to love mysis, seafood mush and hikari freeze dried phyto. Im also adding some brightell zooplankton-l to the mysis and she goes nuts for it. Hopefully I can transition to some pellets also.