Another T5 Question

reefracer

I am running the NEP 36" on a 24" deep tank and have been pleased with it. I use the 2 atinic bulbs stay on longer for some night time lighting. I have beening running it for about 12 mo. and need someone to recommend what six bulbs to purchase. I'm sure most of them are better than the original current tubes. Oh it is a mixed reef but mostly softies. There are so many choices I would just like a solid set of bulbs, please.

BigJay

well its like asking someone what color pants you should wear or what color car you should buy. Its an invidual choice. I like UVL , ATI and Giesemann. The color temperatures are listed for each bulb so you can decide if you want more of a white look go for 10-12k and if you want more of a purple look go to actinic + or if you want to see reds add a 6500k bulb in there etc.

funkpolice

if you are running stock bulbs now, you will see a huge change with a new set fo quality bulbs. like jay said, ati are geissman good choices. a good combo for evening/morning is ati blue+ and geissman fugi purples. the blue+ is probably my favorite bulb. it's a super deep blue that make many corals flourecse. I like the fugi purple better than the ati actinic. aquablue specials are a more white bulb that is use some of. the possibilities are endless.
bill

reefracer

Thanks for the responses I really don't know that much about the difference but I know lots of you are and appreciate the pointers and brand names.

funkpolice

changing just one bulb in the set will make a difference in the appearance of the aquarium. even changing the order of the bulbs will give a different effect. If you have a local club, I'd get in contact with them and see if you could borrow a selection of bulbs and mix and match until find an acceptable combo, then purchase what works for you. maybe 4 ati aquablue specials, 3 ati blue plus, and a geissman fugi purple would be a good start.
bill

BigJay

excellent advice Bill. I have 3 or 4 bulbs that are brand new that I've bought just to test the color and decided I didn't like it. Some of the actinics in the brands I mentioned have an extreme impact on the coloration dependant on their position. Its one of the amazing aspects of T5 and one of the reasons for its popularity.
btw here is a thread I added to my favorites a while back discussing colors and position http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...sing-making-myself-nuts-over-t5-lighting.html . The only problem is the camera doesn't always or almost never conveys the actual in person color but it should give you somewhat of an idea.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Very good advice and great links.

I like my tanks in the "Bluer" arena so I tend to go with more Blues! Honestly any bulb combination from the bands mentioned will FAR exceed the look and performance of the "Stock" bulbs in your fixture. When I buy my T5 bulbs I always buy one "weird" one just to have on hand for future "experiments" in color.

The best thing you can do is look at other's tanks and make notes what they have. Their combo may not look identical in your tank but it should get you close.

Also you want to either stagger your bulb replacement times by several weeks or us some "mechanical light acclimation" method. New bulbs in that fixture will more likely bleach your corals.

reefracer

Good ideas especially the brands and I've heard best not to put all new at one time for mentioned reason. No club, not even a lf store closer than 35 mi.
I hear ati and geissman mentioned as top brands how about online stores, prices/service?