Another question about substrate in RSM

satbert

Hello everyone !

I'm about to start my RSM130D and I'm still questioning if I should go with a substrate or not ??

I read so many threads where people are going BB so they can keep their tank cleaner ! Is anyone running their RSM Bare Bottom ? Pros & Cons ?
It seems most RSM owners run their tank with the recommended 2" substrate.

What about a DSB or DSB+Plenum to help with denitrification ?

If I choose to go with the starter kit Reefbase, what about adding some crush coral to improve it's appearance ? Anyone done it ?

I know this is often based on personal preference but I'd like to hear your comments before starting the tank.

Tks all for your comments !

Rue

I have an aragonite bottom. I don't like the look of bare tanks. You inevitably will have debris, and I think it looks worse floating around.

Plus, I like watching my snails emerge from the sand when they smell dinner...lol...

spartanrob

I agree that the snails emerging is pretty cool! Sometimes I see a snail come out that I have not seen in a few days. I also think the sand substrate makes it look more natural.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Satbert!

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Owners Club!

I think I only recall one owner with a BB RSM, and he was very happy with it. I prefer an aragonite substrate myself, about 2" deep. I guess it's a matter of what you want. I've heard that if you mix something like crushed coral with a fine substrate that the larger chucks of crushed coral eventually end up on top. They also usually say crushed coral tends to collect more detritis between the large particles. Not sure if those are true or not.

On the DSB maybe someone else can comment on that.

Good luck with the 130D. Start a thread when you get it started so we can follow along! :)

satbert

Tks for your comments so far ! I will let you know soon what I'll do for the substrate & I will start a thread when I finally start the RSM !

Last edited:

jb673

Satbert;
My RSM, now @ 16 months, with no substrate, is in great shape. This decision was made at the recommendation at my LFS. Whats' interesting is that I now enjoy a very nice base of substrate as a result of live rock disintegrating & the age of the tank in general-tough decision on your part, wish you the very Best!
Jerry

marine281

I have about 4" of aragonite as a base, don't like the look of bare tanks, seems too commercial to me, but each to their own :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Jerry - great to see you're still around. I was hoping you'd post your success with the BB RSM - thanks!

I prefer the look of substrate also, but the BB can be successful also.

jb673

Reefmack;
Well, as you know, its' called the "Great Substrate Debate". Now at over a year, on balance, I'm very pleased with the RSM! Bottom of the tank looks as though it is very natural-tonight, just changed Chemi-Pure unit(arrrggghhh), but the effort & time well worth the beauty of the environment of keeping a SWT. Will post a photo soon, & as always, thanks for all that you do!
Jerry

satbert

I decided I will use the Reefbase substate supplied with the Stater kit.
I personnaly prefer the look of a substrate over a BB tank - but that's me.

I have setup the cabinet and had to level it. I installed the Tunze Osmolator and then I filled the tank to do a leak test and tried everything - return pumps, heater, skimmer, leds, main lights, etc....

The hood fans were very loud and so were the return pumps. I have contacted Red Sea max already and new fans + pump impellers are on the way.

I starded making RO water last night. Before I put the Reefbase in the tank, do you recommend using eggcrate at all ? or is it really useless since the rocks would be resting on a thick layer of substrate ? Is putting the rocks directly on the substrate the correct way to do this ?

Tks - Guy

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I just put my rock on the substrate and lightly wiggled them to get them seated on the bottom. They eventually settle to the bottom anyway. I guess eggcrate has benefits, but I never added it. Too late now! :)