ANOTHER post about marine ich

breezey1127

Well I added the copper early this evening and has just tried food and they ate like pigs as they usually do! Keeping my fingers crossed. Cleaner wrasse is still MIA :( I liked that little guy.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
He will be back out.....trust me! Once he is back out, try to keep an eye on him while you try to catch him.....if he goes into the sand again you'll know where he is staying.

reefguy

Mine disappeared for a week the one time I messed with my rocks in the tank. If u r sure he did not jump then he should be fine.

breezey1127

Mine disappeared for a week the one time I messed with my rocks in the tank. If u r sure he did not jump then he should be fine.

Well you guys were right. When I came home from work there he was swimming around the tank. He has a really damaged tail fin. It is a bit shreaded. I wonder where he was. Well he is swimming around and eating nonetheless. Now am I able to add him to the quarantine tank (if I can catch the bugger) even though I have already added the half dose of cupramine? Wont stress him out too much will it? Also, should I treat for the damaged tail or will that grow back on its own and the furan-2 that I already plan on adding take care of any infection that might happen?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Glad to see you found him! From my experience, a damaged fin like that which happens quickly is usually due to him being in the rock and trying to wiggle himself out after you took the rock out of the water (happens to my anthias). If fixes itself really quickly so I wouldn't worry.

LSUFireGal

Yay!!! Hope treatment goes well! I am doing hyposalinity for a hippo tang right now as well.

We have gone from this:
7974E458-F071-496C-B48E-4555B00AEED5-17524-00001299E9A57732.jpg

To this:
96DC6072-0783-4B4A-A531-AEBD603A917D-18766-000014E779EF604D.jpg

In 4 days. I hope she stays on the road to recovery and yours recover quickly as well!

breezey1127

Thank you! Both fish have stopped eating so I am a little worried. Other than that they seem fine. The purple tang still has lots of spots but they are getting really really white. Maybe getting ready to fall off?? I hope

reefguy

Use garlic to get them to eat. I would soak the seaweed in it as well as Selcon. It will help them eat and also give them the stuff they need to have a healthy immune system and fight of the infection. Feed them frozen mysis as well if u have it.

breezey1127

Hey there, I always use garlic, zoe and mysis every time I feed but they seem to not be going for it since i've added the copper. They were at first but not now. I will try soaking the seaweed in it, I have never tried that before. And I have never tried Selcon and I am not sure my LFS have it here. I can get my hands on zoecon, I will pick that up today.

breezey1127

Hi, I have another question. I know you should not have live rock or sand in a quarantine tank that is being treated with cupramine because it reacts with the copper. But what about coraline algae, which contains calcium carbonate? The reason I ask is because the power head I use to mix my new saltwater has coraline algae on it and I am wondering if it will cause a problem? The thermometer I had in the quarantine tank had coraline algae on it too but I took it out because I wasn't sure. Thank you !

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I don't think that will cause a problem at all.

If you're going to soak the seaweed I would rubber band it to a rock and soak it the day before so that it can dry. What I found when I did mine was that adding too much vitamins/fats/garlic would really much up the water so try to not over do it.

They will start eating......them stalling here for a bit is rather normal.

breezey1127

Well they better start eating! Okay now I have another question. I have never been a person to quarantine. Bad me. Once I let my tank go fishless for 8 weeks with out introducing any inverts either. When it is time I want to add more corals, how do I ensure that the water they are in isnt carrying ich? I assume to quarantine the coral for 8 weeks as well but my hospital/quantine tank is not suitable for a coral.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Unfortunately, if you want to be entirely sure your tank is ich free you'd need to QT corals as well. If you QT in a "frag" tank with no fish in it i think the time period is less, like 4-6 weeks or something due to a part of the life stage not being there (host). Double check the tim period though, i'm not certain.

Very tough to keep an ich free tank when you're establishing it cause you add so much so often!

breezey1127

Unfortunately, if you want to be entirely sure your tank is ich free you'd need to QT corals as well. If you QT in a "frag" tank with no fish in it i think the time period is less, like 4-6 weeks or something due to a part of the life stage not being there (host). Double check the tim period though, i'm not certain.

Very tough to keep an ich free tank when you're establishing it cause you add so much so often!

Well that is a pain. Is there a way I can clean the copper out of my hospital tank when I am done treating the fish? And I would have to upgrade the lights on the tank. That is very tough. Maybe I will just get coral and hope I dont get ich and if I do, treat again!

By the way my tang looks like he is feeling much better today! Less hiding, more swimming, less ich and he ate!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Lee has a post on how to clean tanks out but I'm pretty sure once you've coppered it you shouldn't use it for anything but a hospital tank (maybe others can chime in). It's definitely a pain in the buns. I run a bigger UV and roll the dice, so far so good.

Glad to hear he is eating...... Seems like everything is going according to plan

breezey1127

Lee has a post on how to clean tanks out but I'm pretty sure once you've coppered it you shouldn't use it for anything but a hospital tank (maybe others can chime in). It's definitely a pain in the buns. I run a bigger UV and roll the dice, so far so good.

Glad to hear he is eating...... Seems like everything is going according to plan

SO VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION....

I FINALLY caught the stupid cleaner wrasse and want to put him in the hospital tank with my tang and angel but I am already 6 days into the cupramine treatment. I am not able to set up a second quarantine tank so I am wondering if I can adjust him slowly to the tank I already set up and treat with cupramine for an extra six days, e.g. re-start the 14 days today? Will this be too much for the tang and angel? They are doing great.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'm no expert but I wouldn't think that the extra 6 days would be terrible. I've seen many threads (right or wrong) that run copper for 4 weeks. Wrasses are very good at fighting off ich as well but not all do well in copper so watch closely. When I got mine I just qtd him for 2 weeks and then in he went.

breezey1127

Bree how are the tang and angel looking in the HT?

They are looking pretty good. Eating tons and all of the spots are gone. Actually the angel didnt really have too many spots but the tang was covered by the time I got them in there.

The lateral lines of my tang do look like there might be HLLE starting to develop.

Also, I have been getting some ammonia readings and it doesnt matter how many water changes I do. However, I did read last night on the Seachem website that "Ammonia test kits can not distinguish ammonia from the amine based complex present in Cupramine™ and will therefore give a false high reading for ammonia while using Cupramine."

Did you guys know that? I had no clue!