Ann's RSM 130D

sushi62

Did some more rock scaping today. I'm trying to make sure everything is attached week before the corals come in. I think I'm finished. LOL

IMG_2503_zpsc74c346b.jpg

sushi62

Just got off the phone with Red Sea and they told me the top only opens half way. Even though I know Ive seen pics with it open all the way...I think I'm giving up on this one.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
OK, first thing we need to establish here, is the aquarium a 130 or does it have a sight glass on the left hand side which confirms it as a 130D.

130 and 130D arms are in fact different, a 130 aquarium the hood opens at 45 degrees on the 130D the hood opens at 90 degrees so the hood is near vertical to the back of the aquarium.

The arms shown are for a 130D aquarium. you should first try and snap lock the first short section of arm before then lifting into the vertical pushing the other section of the arm forward.

sushi62

I do have that little window that looks into the pump area. The one that shows the water level, correct? My hinges are so tight when I try to open it all the way I see the spots where the pins go into the frame of the tank bending. I'm afraid I'm going to break it.

Jetmart

OK, first thing we need to establish here, is the aquarium a 130 or does it have a sight glass on the left hand side which confirms it as a 130D.

130 and 130D arms are in fact different, a 130 aquarium the hood opens at 45 degrees on the 130D the hood opens at 90 degrees so the hood is near vertical to the back of the aquarium.

The arms shown are for a 130D aquarium. you should first try and snap lock the first short section of arm before then lifting into the vertical pushing the other section of the arm forward.

I agree the 130D should open 90 degrees. Mine does. The hinges were stiff at first. I wonder if you tried lubricating them. You could try just a bit of vaseline??

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Ok, Thanks Ann, you have the 130D, the arms you have are also the 130D arms and they are fitted correctly, when first opening snap the locks on the short section of the arms, this is the first position, then push the arms to the side slightly to move them out of the arm holder, you can then extend the arms and look them back on themselves holding the hood fully open, at first the hood should lift near to vertical, once the arms are in position the hood will fall back a little, when closing simply lift the hood again to take the weight off the arms, you then collapse the arms back to the first rest position then snap out the small arm locks before totally closing the hood.

Lubrication of the arms pins is possible, use a small amount of silicon grease. apply it and wipe it back off, CAUTION VERY IMPORTANT. do not get silicon or Vaseline into the aquarium water column as it will kill skimmer action for a considerable time frame.

sushi62

I tried what you said last night locking the arm and when I put pressure on it it snapped open. I'm on my way to work now. I'll give it another try when I get home. I'm sorry to be difficult. It is really SO tight. I don't want to break my tank :-( I'm going to take better pics and maybe a video. It has to be something stupid like they are backwards or something because the way they are I'm positive it won't open. Thanks for helping me though.

sushi62

I feel so silly posting this...one is with the arm clipped the other it's not. I can get it farther up unclipped. I'm pushing on it as much as I dare because its not even close. [video]http://s375.photobucket.com/user/sushi621/media/IMG_2528_zpsyb6yzypx.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0[/video]

[video]http://s375.photobucket.com/user/sushi621/media/IMG_2529_zpst7pcca4d.mp4.html?sort=3&o=1[/video]

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
try this push the "joint" in in the middle - see if I can help you visualize ... think of the hinge like you knee if it were double jointed and could fold back as well as forward not sure if this helps... but it might ;)

from looking at the vids... everything looks correct... as you lift it up, invert the hinge

see what others think... if this does not help

Just got off the phone with Red Sea and they told me the top only opens half way. Even though I know Ive seen pics with it open all the way...I think I'm giving up on this one.

I have a 130D as well, the lid does not open all the way, never has .. but its pretty close to 90 degrees, it opens enough anyways.

I feel so silly posting this...one is with the arm clipped the other it's not. I can get it farther up unclipped. I'm pushing on it as much as I dare because its not even close. [video]http://s375.photobucket.com/user/sushi621/media/IMG_2528_zpsyb6yzypx.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0[/video]

[video]http://s375.photobucket.com/user/sushi621/media/IMG_2529_zpst7pcca4d.mp4.html?sort=3&o=1[/video]

finally got these to load on my crappy work computer lol . ... yep, you are on the right track, just need to push the middle of those braces up towards the back like nano was saying and they will hold it open.

Rooprect

This has been great to follow. You are all the sweetest people ever. What needs to happen is SO simple yet SO impossible to put into words! If poor Sushi still needs help this evening I'll be happy to post a video of the hinge in action.
You got this Sushi!!

sushi62

I would love that Rooprect! I'm so afraid of breaking something important on the tank. I can get new hinges if they break but the tank can't be fixed. I'm convinced that mine won't open lol

This has been great to follow. You are all the sweetest people ever. What needs to happen is SO simple yet SO impossible to put into words! If poor Sushi still needs help this evening I'll be happy to post a video of the hinge in action.
You got this Sushi!!

This would be the best way! .. unfortunately, I no longer keep the lid on mine, so I couldn't help with a vid :p

Jetmart

I have a 130D as well, the lid does not open all the way, never has .. but its pretty close to 90 degrees, it opens enough anyways.

I have a 139d that I purchased in Nov in Canada and I can tell you it opens to 90 degrees. Has three positions as described in the previous posts.