Anisa's BioCube 29g Adventure

AnisaG

Quick update - heard back from the owner of the lfs the aquarium was purchased at within an hour, hows that for service. He is going to be contacting the distributor today to find out what can be done.

And more research on the yellow algae is pointing me towards Mustard Algae? But there isn't much info in terms of causes or cures...

AnisaG

Test levels today:
Salinity - 1.026
Ammonia - .5
Nitrite - .5
Nitrate - 5
pH - 7.9
Temp - 26.5

I added two more deli shrimp and am starting to see a bit of brown on some of the rocks too. :) Just going to keep waiting patiently!

Looks good. I just got a biocube 29 and transfered my 30g into it and it looks amazing. I don't know why, but it is so much easier to scape a small aquarium like these to look beautiful, where as my larger tank I will probable never be happy with the way it looks.
Keep up the good work

here is my cube
cube.jpg

AnisaG

Tests as of last night:

SG 1.026
Temp 26
Ammonia 2
Nitrite 2
Nitrate 5
PH 7.8

Anyone have an opinion on Vermetid snails?? Good? Bad? I have somewhere between 5 and 10 of them.

AnisaG

Tests as of tonight:
SG 1.026
Ammonia 1
Nitrite 5
Nitrate 10
PH 7.8
Temp 27
I'm starting to understand why people have so much trouble with reading their tests!

Also starting to see more and more brown stuff on the rocks, and it's starting to grow on the sand as well. I will just continue to wait patiently and watch all of my neat little hitchhikers...

Uslanja

It is sounding good! The brown stuff is normal at this stage of the cycle. Post photos so we can see what your describing! We look forward to checking up on your tank cycle and can hardly wait until you add your first coral!!

AnisaG

Yep my cycle was going great, but I had to tear down the whole thing yesterday to set up a new tank because of the silicone issue I was having. I kept everything in buckets and it was like that for less than 24 hours, but I can tell there was quite a bit of die off from the live rock, my water smells AWFUL... so when it's all cleared, there was a minor sand storm on reassemble, I will take and post some pics of the new scape. Which I like better, but isn't that always the way? lol...

Water last night before I took it all down:
SG 1.026
Ammonia 1
Nitrite 1
Nitrate 15
pH 7.8
Temp 26.5

Will do more tests and post soon!

XeniaLee

I'm so sorry to hear that you had to move to another tank. the silicone issue must have been worse than it looked. :--( Well better to do it now than when you are another month into it with corals etc...

AnisaG

Water yesterday:
SG 1.026
Ammonia 1
Nitrite 5
Nitrate 20
pH 7.8
Temp 27

Thanks Xenia, I don't know that the silicone was all that bad, but it was flaking off of the sides and into the tank... I know I am slightly paranoid, but I would much rather be safe than sorry ;) And I agree, better now than later for sure!

Lookin good! pH is a little low, but im sure everything will straighten out once the cycle is complete.
Always liked the horse shoe kinda scapeing you have going on there

Uslanja

Hi AnisaG! Sorry to learn of your trouble! The new scaping looks really good! Isn't this hobby great! Just when you make a little progress, something knocks you back! But in the end, you get to participate in all this learning! And, you will get to actually enjoy some very unique and impressive life in there! Have you gotten your big magnifying glass out yet and discovered what new critters are hiding in the rock?