Angel fish Compatibility

Dr. D.F. Puffer

Hey all,
I was just given 3 juvenile angelfish from a store that had some financial issues and closed. I know this store and the systems they used for there tanks the fish are healthy and post quarantine. Its an Queen, Koran and Emperor. I was asked to give them a home. They are all between 2-3.5 inches and have never lived together.Thankfully, I have room for them in a 150gal. Does anyone know if they can live together if they are raised together and given plenty of space/hiding spots?
- the tank has a lion fish, dog face, blue hipo, powder blue, and porcupine puffer, all of which are juveniles. And yes the lion fish is to small to eat these 3.

Any thoughts?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS !

Would love to see pics of you tank and your lovely fish ! Sure some members will be able to advise on the comparability question.

This chart from liveaquaria may be of some help...

compatibility_chart.gif

DaveK

I'd say you have a slight chance ot them being able to live together. However, as they get mature, they usually become more and more aggressive toward each other. You can try keeping them together and see what happens, but have a plan B for them if they don't. Since you have other fish in the tank, you have a slightly better chance of them living together.

You do have one long term problem. Many of the fish you have will outgrow the tank you have, so think about what you will do then.

chickenjohn

Not sure on the koran but I used to have a queen and emperor in the same tank it was a 1500 litre tank and I got them both as juveniles, most fish compatibility is a suck it and see situation, it worked in mine but it no way guarantees it will work in yours but having them as juveniles gives a better chance.
On another note imo a 150 gallon tank isn't big enough to house 1 of those fish let alone 2 when they are adult which will also lead to non compatibility, these fish need space and lots of it.

Dr. D.F. Puffer

I'd say you have a slight chance ot them being able to live together. However, as they get mature, they usually become more and more aggressive toward each other. You can try keeping them together and see what happens, but have a plan B for them if they don't. Since you have other fish in the tank, you have a slightly better chance of them living together.

You do have one long term problem. Many of the fish you have will outgrow the tank you have, so think about what you will do then.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have a 300gal in the garage that they will get when this tank becomes to small. I was hoping that a full house might improve my chances.

Dr. D.F. Puffer

Not sure on the koran but I used to have a queen and emperor in the same tank it was a 1500 litre tank and I got them both as juveniles, most fish compatibility is a suck it and see situation, it worked in mine but it no way guarantees it will work in yours but having them as juveniles gives a better chance.
On another note imo a 150 gallon tank isn't big enough to house 1 of those fish let alone 2 when they are adult which will also lead to non compatibility, these fish need space and lots of it.
yea they will get a 300gal when the time comes but cross your fingers (like I will) and hope it goes well. wish me luck!! thanks for your thoughts.

chickenjohn

I would put them in the 300gal tank to start with,
otherwise they may find harmony in the 150 then when you move them to the 300 because it is new to them they will have to find new territory for themselves which as adults will probably lead to non compatibility as fighting each other for space and one wanting to be dominant.

Dr. D.F. Puffer

I would put them in the 300gal tank to start with,otherwise they may find harmony in the 150 then when you move them to the 300 because it is new to them they will have to find new territory for themselves which as adults will probably lead to non compatibility as fighting each other for space and one wanting to be dominant.
That is the plan. I have to get the stand first it broke during my last move. Thank you for your help I appreciate it and will keep ya'll posted. thanks again