Anemones in powerhead

AndyMan

I came home from work and my anemones in the little grooves of the Hydor 3 powerhead. Half of him is out, the other half is still in there. A few of his arms were severed but most of him was spared from the propeller. I can't tell if he is alive or dead. I have read some threads where the same thing has happened to other people and their anemones eventually recovered and lived however I have also read a dying or dead anemones could wipe out a whole tank. what do I do?

Attachments

• anemones.jpg
    anemones.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 181

AndyMan

Thinking about setting one up tomorrow, using the tank water but he is still in the powerhead, cant get him out and that was my main flow source.

essmaker

PREMIUM
I really don't know of a good answer other than move him with the power head and get a new one for your main tank.

If he gets better than he may detach from the head on his own.

AndyMan

So I pulled out the powerhead and put it my sump area and I did notice the anemone has expanded now quite a bit. It seems like it is alive but not 100% sure. I assume if it was dead it would have shrunk to a little ball. It is not looking to good though, it looks like it got chopped up near the mouth area which concerns me. Also, the first night the the peppermint shrimp was all over it trying to eat the chopped up area, hence why I pulled it out.

Attachments

• anemones1a.jpg
    anemones1a.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 154
  • anemones2b.jpg
    anemones2b.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 152

AndyMan

One more question, has anyone wrapped stockings around the powerhead to protect anemones or will they just be an algae attraction.

AndyMan

Okay he is not looking too good, Saturday night I took a razor blade and made a small incision to remove him the torn up bits from his body that were holding him to the powerhead. He seemed to be okay Sunday but today he looks weak.

Need some advice, remove it...he is dead or gone soon or leave him be and see if he recovers?

Attachments

• anemone3.jpg
    anemone3.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 143

essmaker

PREMIUM
I would leave him for another day while monitoring. Hopefully it is just stressed badly and will recover.

I have seen netting over power heads to protect critters. I will find the post so you can see an example.

lcstorc

That doesn't look good but I have seen them come back from some awful physical damage. I know it sounds wierd but scoop it out for a second. If it is dead you will know instantly.

AndyMan

Found the picture, thought I would post it here also to share with others so they dont make the same mistake I did. Anemones and powerheads dont mix, use screening or foam covers for your powerheads. :)

Also, just an update...anemone expanded today and I touch it to see if there was movement at the tentacles, which there was so he is still alive.

Attachments

• powerhead net2.jpg
    powerhead net2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 148

GrendelPrime

i remember a trick someone did a while ago to get there anemone out of a power head it attached him self to...they directed more flow at it figuring that the anemone wouldent like the stronger flow there by releasing him self to find a better place more to its liking

from my exp when one dies you can't miss it, will quickly start falling apart this is when I removed one I lost with no ill effects to the tank, however mine is 125gal so prob take a little more to effect it than smaller tanks, just my exp with is admitedly limited, never had one in a powerhead though

My hatian pink tip just got tangled in the powerhead. Its foot was caught in the strainer. I pulled the strainer from the ph and let it and the anenome rest on the bottom of the tank. Next day, the anenome was free! So far it has survived about 3 days in spite of all the tentacles being cut to a length of about 1". Instead of being "shaggy", it looks like a buzz cut! Hope it makes it. Good luck with yours too.

BeautifullyToxx

My anemone got stuck in the powerhead and my sister ripped it off. It doesnt look dead yet but we put it in a separate container with just tank water to prevent it from killing the fish. Should we put it back in the tank (is it safe? because it spit some white stuff that may be toxic) or leave it in a separate container? What to do :(

silverfox6472

i had a green bubble tip it got choped up by my 802 powerhead alot of him ended up in my sump but most is in my tank what do i need to do. is my tank shot or what.

BLAKEJOHN

Water Changes and large ones too....My RBTA split and the clone wandered up mto the powerhead overnight and was completely blended. The tank was as cloudy as could be and the bits that you could see would best be described as PULP.

I did a 50% water change imediately and a few 25% water changes the days following and I had no problems...

koolaid2669

put a sponge on it, the ones you refill in filters, the thick ones.. i cut them in half and put them over all of the intake on my filters. my enenome got stuck in my powerhead when i first got my first tank. it was horrible.