Anemones Aplenty?

William

Hi, I'm William from Oklahoma. I have noticed a number of what I believe are tiny anemones in my reef tank. I initially thought they were ricordia, but I'm not too sure. They have a red stalk and a white mouth that looks like most zoanthids do. Kind of a slit. There tentacles are almost invisible, but have a white dot at the end. They're really dinky, about the size of the end of a pencil eraser. They don't move around but there are about 6 of them, they're mostly in the shadows of my live rock. I don't think they're aiptasia--but I'm not sure. I've searched the web and my reference books and can't find any photo or description that fills the bill.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

W

lcstorc

Is there any way you can post a pic? It is hard to identify these things to begin with but without a pic is is really difficult. You say that you have 6 now did they all just appear? Are they on a new piece of lr? Basically any info you can give will help the experts to properly identify them.

BTW Welcome to RS! Just saw this was your first post.
There are lots of friendly, helpfult people many with extensive knowledge. Hopefully someone can get you an id on these for you.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary William :)

My guess is aiptasia.. a bad invassive and aggressive glass anemone. See if yours looks like any of these: AIPTASIA PICS

Frankie

RS STAFF
If there only 6 of them on one rock id pull it before they spread. you could bake it and they will die. That might be a little drastic for you though, so you might want ot go out and buy a few peppermint shrimps if there small. The shrimp will eat them up ( yummy).

BoomerD

Might this be one of the many species of hydroids?

aro.jpg

or possibly one of the psuedocorynactis sp?

5orangeballcorallimorph-jeuwcccco2002-001.jpg

BoomerD

Well, if it's hydroids, you will want to kill them, (stinging menaces) but may find it a difficult task. Let's try to ID them before we discuss how to best kill stuff however...

William

Hi y'all! Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice--I'm charging up my camera batteries and will post a picture asap. Thanks for the aiptasia link, as well. This has been quite a learning experience and I'm glad I posted here. The little critters are on a number of rocks. The strange thing is, I've had my tank going for over a year and have never noticed these guys before. As for the photos I've examined since yesterday, the psuedocorynactis sp. photo from Boomer is close, but the dots on mine are white.

Again, thanks so much for the welcome and the advice. I'll have a pic soon. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Peace, William

BoomerD

I've seen quite a few with white tips as well:
026.jpg

That one is a corynactis species, possibly c. californica

BoomerD

Not bad things. corallimorphs, related to anemones and mushrooms. (in fact, called ball-anemones) As long as their numbers stay small, I would leave them alone.

BoomerD

which pic? all are showing up for me here...;)

Not saying it's an ID, just throwing out possible choices...we'll need some decent pics for a real ID...

Frankie

RS STAFF
#12 dosen't show but the other ones do. I agree with you that some good pictures to give an id would be good.

William

Well, the photos were a wash. My digital camera isn't the greatest in the world. I'm going to follow your advice and just see what they do. They aren't really moving around or spreading so they aren't a problem. And as I mentioned I think they're kinda pretty. If they get moving or my cat goes missing I'll holler!

"Congratulations son, you've managed to educate yourself beyond all hope of gainful employment."

--My Father