HELP! Anemone PAR

thaitopher

Ok guys, need your advice. About to invest in an anemone. I have a 20 gallon nano. I get approximately 200 PAR in the middle of the tank and 50 PAR on the bottom of the tank. 18 inch height with 25,000k LED light. Is this enough PAR if I added a bubble tip in the middle of the aquarium? Are there any types of anemones that could make it with 50 PAR?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mr_tap_water

Hi there
IMO providing you have good water quality I would say you have a enough lighting A couple of signs will tell you if it's struggling ,
if it's not opening up when the lights are on also it will start to move higher towards the light if it's struggling. Good luck[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

... About to invest in an anemone. I have a 20 gallon nano. ...

If you must have an anemone get some mushrooms or a leather coral or something similar. A large anemone such as a BTA would give you a lot of problems for a number of reasons.

First off you have a small tank and it's tall. Anemones like a BTA get fairly large and they will wander. In a tank like this it's just about certain that it will wander into a filter or power head intake, creating a real mess.

Large anemones also require excellent stable water conditions. While it's not impossible to do this in a 20 gal tank, it's fairly difficult. You just don't have the water volume.

Lighting is actually the least of your problems. It's low, but that's easily fixed with a lighting upgrade.

I know everyone seems to want an anemone to go with their clownfish, but this usually not a good idea. Pick one of the other options I mentioned. The clown may not host in them, but you'll avoid all the problems of trying to keep an anemone in such a small tank.

Another point to add to Dave's concerns is that anemones are best kept in well established tanks. The first year or two a tank goes through a lot of maturing and anemones rarely make it through the process. Clowns have been known to use most anything as a host and are fine without one at all. In addition to Dave's suggestions I would add LPS corals such as a hammer or frogspawn. Often clowns will use them as substitute hosts.