Anemone ID Help

philodox

I bought an anemone the other week that i just couldn't live without. It's been in the tank for about 2 weeks and is doing great! He's a bit weird with the light cycle, however. When the lights are on he withdraws into the sand a bit. When they lights are out he's fully open and expended. I have an extremely health pod population in my tank. I think part of the reason he's so open and expanded at night is that is when the pods come out.

I have T5HO lighting right now. Upgrading to a pair of 400w metal halides over the weekend.

It's a sand anemone. It's translucent blue. It greedily eats anything that falls on it. It's interesting to see it's tentacles move food to the oral disk. When it does pass food to it's oral disk, it's lightning quick. It eats flake, pellet, fish poo, mysis/brine and pretty much anything you throw at it or falls onto it. It's only about 3 inches round.

I'm trying to find an ID on what kind of sand anemone this may be. Here are photo's

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

philodox

I originally thought it was a Sebea anemone as well. However, there is no white in it at all, just translucent (almost see through) blue tendrils. I've done various google images searches for it, but come up short. Oh well, at least he looks cool!

I had almost forgotten to mention, it's "foot" is a very light 'flesh' color. Not much pink in it at all. The photo's I posted earlier are not edited for color either. What you see is what it looks like through the glass.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Heteractis crispa blue Sebae, looks a bit bleached but if its eating should do very well, Ive never seen a blue available for purchase so you got lucky Enjoy!

Attachments

• Heteractis_crispaCKS2.jpg
    Heteractis_crispaCKS2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 29

philodox

Quick update: the anemone is still doing very well. Fully open all day and eagerly eats all food given to it as well as most of my pod population now!

The anemone did detach itself from it's sand bed position and walked itself over to the rocks. Now it's directly attached to live rock as opposed to the glass bottom. Thankfully it's keeping clear of my Haddoni Carpet as in the battle of two nems, the Haddoni would be the winner. I think I may put a pile of live rock rubble between the two to help cage them in until the blue one settles down.

Anyhoot....

Heteractis crispa blue Sebae, looks a bit bleached but if its eating should do very well, Ive never seen a blue available for purchase so you got lucky Enjoy!

Thank you very much for assisting in the ID. I now also believe it's a Sebae nem. The tendrils are starting to become more solid in color. More white color is coming into them. However, not so much as to totally white out the blue color. Looks more sky blue now than anything else. I paid $35 for this little guy, so hopefully he continues to make a full recovery. Hopefully the translucent look to the tendrils fading is a sign that it's recovering from its being bleached.