An Unexpected Journey

Vandit

Cheers for that Dom, Much appreciated.

As I'm a complete newbie I'm not sure yet regarding corals and fish? I'd like to keep things relatively easy to begin with so maybe just softies? I've aquired some books though and plan on researching whilst cycling.

Just read through your thread and your reef is looking great! Thanks for chipping in.

Vandit

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
No problems mate :)

That's perfectly fine! You'll learn what you like and don't, so don't fret and take your time with each choice. Go place to start for coral keep, nice and straight forward! Best thing you can do is read everything, that's where a lot of my knowledge comes from and the passion for this hobby. I might drop the intensity of the lighting back a bit if you're going softies to begin with. Turn white aquaray 2 off at 6:00-6:30pm and the rest should be fine :)

Thanks mate :D Still in the early stages but I want to grow everything out so it's going to look a little coral scare for a while but I'm a patient man :p

Juli2nneJla

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm looking forward to this thread as it will be great reference for me and hopefully anyone else with similar questions or problems? so thanks in advance to all who get involved!
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Vandit

Hey guys. Got aquainted with my Aquatronica controller over the weekend and It's a great bit of kit! My lighting is working perfect and my schedule is on clock, cheers Dom. I also fired up the skimmer and that also seems to be working great.

The main highlight though was definitely my new ATU!

Tank is now running bang on! so it just leaves rock watching and water testing.

Vandit

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Looking good mate :yup: Glad to hear it's all up and running and the lighting schedule is what you want :D

Mrsalt

PREMIUM

Vandit

Cheers guys, I'm really happy with my tank. The ATU is great! Everything just seems to be running better with the water being kept at a constant level, and no more manually topping up every night :)

SunandOcean

ATO is one of the best buys I did, certainly helps to cut down manual work!
Tank is coming along nicely, cant wait to see it filled.

Vandit

Cheers, Just playing the waiting game now. It's been two weeks since I put the shrimp in and yesterday's test showed Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 1 (Top of the scale) and Nitrate is 50 (Top of the scale). I've added a pic of the shrimp as some of the same growth from the stocking is appearing in small numbers on the rocks. Will adding a piece of cured live rock be beneficial or is there no need?

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
adding some LR to your dry rock will be beneficial - 10---20 % is what I used.... if you can hand pick it, you can watch out for hh

Vandit

Hi Diana, Ammonia spiked early and is now constantly showing as 0, Nitrite and Nitrate have been off the charts until last night! Test revealed Nitrite has dropped :) I'm hoping that everything is going well? I can't see how the shrimp is looking? but it has a jelly like substance that has formed on the outside of the stocking and it's Grim!

I went to the LFS to get some live rock but the pieces on display had Aiptasia growing out of the egg crate they sat on? so I decided against it! However the assistant gave me a small piece from a sump for nothing and said it would help. I popped it in and since then it has been getting very brown and hairy but the rest of my rock is as it was.

Bjones - Thanks for the comment.
Glenn - Thanks as always.

Vandit.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
MMMMMM that shrimp sure does look tasty :yummy: hahaha

+1 to Greg, before you know it you'll be making your first additions and oh what a glorious day that is :D :p

Vandit

Yeah man, I'm looking forward to it bud. Bring on that 40% water change!

I'm still unsure about what will be the first addition though? but anything will be better looking than Ming the shrimp!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Yay is right :yehoo: seems like my nitrite zero'd out fast when it started it's decrease. But I had lots of very matured LR in my tank. Glad you didn't get the LR with all the Aiptasia in the tank.
Don't worry about the algae starting to form, it's just going to supply your CUC something to eat once you add them. WC not far into the future & then :woohoo: for adding CUC & a fish to your tank. :D
Better figure out what you want 1st. I added a pair of clowns 1st and gave them a few weeks to bond with each other...worked out well as they seem to still love each other :heart:

Vandit

Nitrite is still on the decrease, and brown stains are starting to appear on the rocks :)

I still need to decide on my stocking list but I'm leaning towards a Watchman Goby for my first fish.

Vandit

Just finished a test and Nitrites are down to 0.5 and at the rate they are falling will be gone by tomorrow :) Diatoms however are on the increase! There on my Rocks, Sand, pumps, MP10 and a decomposing shrimp.

What's my next move guys, and when? :ponder2: