2 cleaner shrimp
2 turbo snails
1 blue damsel
1 six line wrasse
2 peppermit shrimp
1 randall's shrimp goby
1 twin spot goby
and lots of corals.
I am having a cyano outbreak. I just want to make sure everyone lives and is happy.
Jenn

BarbMazz

Your clean up crew doesn't count toward your bio-load. Nor do your corals. Only fish count.

How many gallons is the tank? How old is the tank?

Welcome to RS!

lcstorc

Welcome to RS!

How old is the tank and how much liverock?
I doubt the cyano is from overstocking but likely from overfeeding. Increasing the flow can also help a lot.

whitjl143

34 gallon. 4 months old. 35 pounds of live rock. I feed once a day and it's gone within 5 seconds.

thanks for the help!
Jenn

jjohnson3

It doesnt sound like your overstocked. Answering these questions will help us

1. How much Live rock?
2. How much live sand?
3. What are your paramaters?
4. How old is your tank and is it cycled?

Good luck!!!!!!!

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whitjl143

The sand is what came with the red sea max. Yes the tank is cycled but I have had a spike in nitrates (10), ph (8.2), alk (3.09) cal (400), ammonia (0), nitrite (.25), phosphate (.05) mag (1300) salinity is 1.025 and temp is 78.

Thanks so much for the help!

mzreenie

My RSM 130D is also 4 months old, and I am also experiencing a cyano problem. I cut my feeding down to every 2 or 3 days, I am trying to blow debri off the LR every day and I am cleaning the sponge everyday. All of these have helped. I hope it is just a "4 month" stage and that it will go away!!! I also removed the ceramic media and replaced it with Chemi-Pure Elite - hope this helps too.

reefer4200

you definately are going to need to do some water changes. Your nitrates are probably the reason for your cyano outbreak.

2FarNorth

I would say your about maxed with the fish load.

Agreed with the water changes.... And watch for any dead spots with detrius...

Also, about the feeding, depending on how much you feed, and what... I'd maybe do a couple small feedings instead of one large one..... Also with that fish combination (the damsel and 6-line) daily feedings are probably not a bad idea to stick with, considering the aggression you might get if you cut back too much....

I have a Blue Damsel, and a 6-line in a 38 gallon, the tank was originally setup just for the Damsel, it would basically kill anything I put in the tank with it.... (hence the reason it's in his own tank) I added the 6-line, and they are inseparable! You'd think they are mates!!! Great fish!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
What are you feeding? If it's "frozen" you may want to rinse/thaw it in RO/DI and drain/strain the water off to remove preservatives.

Also what is your SOURCE water?

I suspect slight over-feeding indicated by the presence of Nitrites (NO2) in your test results. Increase water change amount/frequency will help.

While you're making the other small changes manual removal is needed daily if possible.