Alternate coral feeding pathway

Maxx

Very Interesting......glad to see your still here Dingo...thought maybe you nano-kids had fallen into a hole or something...
:D
Nick

Dingo

DrDrew is one of us. He spams the photo forum all the time. Posting is a winter sport, it seems.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Hiya Dingo.
Yep you would be hard pressed to find an organism that doesnt have some form of cyano in it.

Mike

Crakeur

Originally posted by Maxx
Very Interesting......glad to see your still here Dingo...thought maybe you nano-kids had fallen into a hole or something...
:D
Nick

I've been busy honing my acting skills for my role in the upcoming remake of the Willy Wonka flick. That's right folks, I'm going to be Oompah Loompah #2.

Here's the pic that got me my audition:

cb.jpg

kennerd

I've been doing some more "private auditioning". One of those "Working Vacation Internships" of sorts.

nigle

Oi!

Last I read in Bornemans book zooxanthellae is 'brown' and has NO fluorescents, its other 'thingies' that floreses, not the zooxanthellae, did I read the artical incorrectly or did they state that :

" rock shelves and often emits a fluorescent glow, typical of the algae known as zooxanthellae"

I'm not sure that that is correct?

Comments!

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Nigle zoos dont glow or flourese, its the pigments in them that do. Same thing applies for the corals themselves. the corals have pigments in thier tissue also. Many things under water have pigment protiens that will glow.

Mike

Dingo

You can't expect them to get everything right, can you? I doubt that most of the orange you see is caused by bacteria, either. You probably only see it if you put your corals in a blender, or something.

However, it is interesting that there is another symbiosis that provides needed Nirtrogen, as well as the sugars provided by the Zoox.

Nice ears, Drew. I'd hate to see what a Q-tip looks like coming out of those. Did you have a face-lift or something? You look different.

Originally posted by Craig Manoukian
How do you pronounce that?!:D :cool: :eek: ;) :p :smirk: :columbo:

Easy :lol:

zooxanthellae:

Zoe - Zan - Thell [rhymes with shell] - Ee.

No, I'm not a linguist [obviously] ... but it's a heck of a lot easier than Pocillapora. Or figuring out which pronounciation of Acropora is `right'. [neither ;)]