All hards dead, LPS slowly leaving :( HELP!!

reefer4200

Ok so over the last 3 months i have had a wipeout of nearly ALL hard corals and now slowly my LPS/acans (which were doing awesome) has started to "peel" away and die. My water params are perfect and have been for months now as i get them tested weekly.

1.25 salinity
9.1 alk
8.2 ph
470 calc
0 nitrate, nitrite and phos.

Any ideas on what it could b? i have a 125 w/ 55g sump/fuge. 3x150 12k MH, 4x96w actinics....ideas?

Reddog170

Have you added anything new to your tank? what about feeding? What about tank temp? Other than those I have no idea. Keep us posted though. Shaun

jski711

sounds weird to me. have you had any major ph swings?!? how about some pictures of what is happening. sorry to hear that though that sucks!

Jake

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Who tests these parameters and which test kits do they use ? Are you using RO/DI water ? Which supplements have you been using ? Do you use a refractometer ? Have you tested your ASW mix before doing a water change ? Do you drip kalk and if so is it possible that too much could've been added to the tank too quickly ?

Considering the losses your incurring I suspect your water chemistry is off especially if this has been a slow deteriorating situation. If this is not the case then it's possible that a toxin has been introduced to the tank but we need more info.

ReefLady

Staff member
RTN? What are the "symptoms" if any, that the corals showed? Bleaching? Tissue peeling?

Amnestia

Sounds like some kind of toxin... run lotsa carbon and do multiple water changes, either way it wouldn't hurt

reefer4200

ive done a ton of water changes for about a month straight atleast 3 x 25 gallon changes a week. My sps all basically faded away and bealched wrather slowly for a while then they just died. I checked for bugs i tried iodine nothing worked...NOW my LPS is dying but its weird..the polyps are peeling away and staying healthy but detaching in a sense? ideas...?

I do drip kalk but not much is dripped and all my above parameters havent budged.

I make RODI water and my filters are upto date so i shouldnt have a copper problem...?

I have been running skimmer hardcore and have also been running carbon...?

Any recommendations on what i should test for in particular?

sandyc

I would take a water sample to my LFS and have them run everything. Maybe one of your test kits is not working properly.

jjohnson3

Ill be following this...Did you have an anemone? If it died it may have released toxin...Same goes for cucumbers and sea slugs. My LPS corals are doing the same exact thing as yours are and I lost an anemone a week ago.

Amnestia

zoo's i believe leech toxin when they die also, however since he's doing 20% water changes a week I kind of think it's not a toxin anymore since any toxin would have been quite diluted by now and would have been so potent before the water changes that everything would have crashed quite quickly.

Is your tank grounded? perhaps stray current is killing your corals, explains why water changes arent having any effect.

Amnestia

electrical equipment of any kind can possibly leech out electricity into your tank water even small amounts can be damaging

i'm unsure of any of this, just seems possible since your large WC's arent having much effect

swissgaurd

after checking for stray current which i think is an excellent idea.
if you find nothing,it may be a good idea to try the prodibio products.

vic

reefer4200

after checking for stray current which i think is an excellent idea.
if you find nothing,it may be a good idea to try the prodibio products.

vic

I checked for a "stray current" and from my looking there is nothing wrong...? Also i figure a stray current would more so harm the fish before corals? just my opinion...And I had an anenome not doing good but i took it out well before it was dead or rotting in a sense so possibly i guess? Other than that my LFS has done all my testing and i back it up as well and have gone to second lfs for opinions. They dont know and neither do i?? doesnt make sense

Hopefully i have some positive progress today.

I just recently lost my job so money, well really isnt there, but when i get some i plan on adding lots more flow and possibly a wave maker even?

reefer4200

anyone? Literally the polyps of my lps are just peeling away and even after coming off the polyp itself is still perfectly healthy however it isnt attached to anything just floating around....?