Alk Dosing

carmexx

Hey Folks, I'm new to the idea of dosing. I have a 57 gal DT with 20 gal sump. Roughly 70 gallons total. I am starting to build my SPS collection and am probably going to have to start dosing.
I am looking into adding the RKE APC/DCI package for dosing just Alk. Is this a good start? MY current testing today was PH/8.09 , CA/400 , MG1400 , and Alk/6.7 DKH. I just did a 5 gal WC last night. I usually do 10 WC a week. Also, what product would you dose? i see a few different products on BRS website. I don't have a reactor so I was gonna dose liquid. I'm sorry if i missed a sticky explaining this. Hope you can help.

cracker

hello, I'm also using a two part for the time being. No reactor either. I'm in the process of getting proper amounts for my tanks needs. I use Ocean blend 2 prt. I'd like to tag along Good luck!

carmexx

Well I did find an article explaining a few different methods...http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/4/chemistry

Now I suppose I need help on what equipment to Get. Do I need 2 dosing pumps for CA and ALK or can i just dose ALK? I think i'll use method 1 in the article since my ph is around 7.9 during the day and 8-8.1 at night.

DaveK

First be sure you really need to do this. Many tanks don't need it. Often your water changes can keep up with the calcium depletion.

This is something you should do only if you find that water changes along can't keep up with it.

Be sure to get your SG correct before you test the other parameters. If that is off, it will skew the other readings.

Test the new SW you mix. If that's off, using additives are not a good way to correct it.

For now, it's best to save your money and also read up on kalk reactors and calcium reactors, as they are often used too.

If you are going to dose 2 part, you should use both parts. What ever you do, do not chase numbers. You'll do a lot more harm than good.

carmexx

Thanks...Yeah I have had no problems so far, Monti Cap , Strawberry shortcake, LPS(Acans), Torch...etc. But I have added 4-5 SPS frags and I picked them up from a local reefer whose tank is incredible. When I asked if he dosed he said yes. I am just thinking that if I want growth and healthy corals I will need to up the alk a bit. Your right about chasing numbers, which I don't want to do. I just want to do the right thing for future health and longevity. I will continue to test more frequently and go from there.