Algal Turf Scrubber for a RSM?

turbiville

I have been reading the thread about ATS and I am intrigued. I am now thinking of ways to fit one in the RSM stand (I figure I only need 40 sq. in. of screen, if that much). Has anyone already attempted, or accomplished, this? I guess I would be using the chiller attachment, a pump going to the ATS and another coming back, I would hate to ruin the beauty of the RSM design by hanging a big orange Home Depot bucket above the tank!

Cheers,

~C

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi turbiville. I've seen information on the ATS, but I'm not aware of one being used in an RSM, but it's a big world, with a LOT of RSM owners, and someone may have figured out a way to set one up in back. I'll agree that the big orange bucket isn't the best approackh! :) If you attempt it keep us posted on it.

turbiville

I bought everything but a bucket/sump, that is going to be the only tricky part that I can foresee.

I'll take pictures and share my trial & errors.

ToeSloth

I have been reading that thread about ATS and they sound really interesting, and even know I won't be setting one on with this tank (I don't think) they explantation and discussion about how/why they work are very informative!

Chris

I also read that thread with great interest.

If anyone comes with a workable solution, please let everybody know!

I have a design in mind but my DIY skills are just non-existent...

jackpe

Turbiville, I think you're going to have the same problems as people trying to fit sumps, the only reliable way to create a loop to a scrubber or a sump is to have some kind of overflow from the RSM and then a puimp to return to the RSM.The only other option isto have the sump/scrubber higher than the tank so it automatically returns all the water you feed to it... having a pump to feel the crubber as well as to retrn the water is a recipy for disaster, it is impossible to match the flows exactly...

turbiville

... having a pump to feel the crubber as well as to retrn the water is a recipy for disaster, it is impossible to match the flows exactly...

I have thought about this, and it has concerned me. There is a RSM overflow out there, but I don't have the space between the tank and the wall to fit it back there as it sits now. I was thinking about using 3 pumps. One to feed the sump (with a ball valve so that I can restrict it some if necessary) a second pump in the sump to feed the scrubber, and a third to return the H2O.

Is there any sense to that model whatsoever?

Thank you!

redseareef

RS Sponsor
I have the 130D max and the prefilter box is a excellent algae filter/turf scrubber! It sits directly below the light and gets a nice thick film of algae in the inside!!! Flow of course is good through it and it filters before the skimmer and the carbon! Really works out well! You can utilize you rexisting lights and its very cost effective!!!

turbiville

I have the 130D max and the prefilter box is a excellent algae filter/turf scrubber! It sits directly below the light and gets a nice thick film of algae in the inside!!! Flow of course is good through it and it filters before the skimmer and the carbon! Really works out well! You can utilize you rexisting lights and its very cost effective!!!

OUTSTANDING INFORMATION!

I just wish I heard this before I started experimenting with sump versions.

How did you attach the mesh growing surface to the box? Any chance of getting some pictures?

I've just looked at the prefilter box, and mine gets almost no light at all.... :(

jackpe

I have thought about this, and it has concerned me. There is a RSM overflow out there, but I don't have the space between the tank and the wall to fit it back there as it sits now. I was thinking about using 3 pumps. One to feed the sump (with a ball valve so that I can restrict it some if necessary) a second pump in the sump to feed the scrubber, and a third to return the H2O.

Is there any sense to that model whatsoever?

Thank you!

Hi,

The problem is still the same, you cannot use two pumps because you will never exactly match flow, whether to the sump or the turf scrubber, the issue is the same. Even if you temporarily get the flows very similar with a ball valve this won't last, pumps change in efficiency over time and other factors are in constant change and will sooner (rahter than later) lead to a flood. The only safe method is an overflow of some kind... I also looked into this time ago and there is no other way...good luck...

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
You can utilize you rexisting lights

If you want to use the existing light, it needs to be 6500K or less, and no more than 4" from the middle of the screen. 14K will definately not work, and 10K will be disappointing.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
turbiville,
Do you have a Max 130D? I did nothing to mine, but I had so much algae growing there that I had to drop some snails in there to clean it up.
The problem with big algae turf scrubber systems is always the same: They leach tanins back into the water discoloring it. This blocks out alot of light, and adding carbon is the only thing that removes the coloration from the water.
You have to be very careful doing this. IF the corals are adjusted to the light with tanins in the water, then suddenly the tanins are removed, the corals will bleach and die. The light transmittance through the water is that big of a difference.
The water over natural reefs is VERY clear. I like the skimmer and carbon combination with a little algae here and there to use as a indicator of how the organics are building up in the system if there are any.
Are you guys familiar with the Ecosystem method? They swore up and down you did not need a skimmer. Well, now they sell the system with a skimmer...............

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Here's a good example of a excellent filtration setup at the Long Beach public aquarium. Their water in all their tanks are crystal clear!
phpThumb.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
turbiville - I have the Lifereef overflow, for a few weeks now and it's working great. How much space do you have behind the tank? I was concerned about that too, but the Lifereef designed for the RSM fits fine. I have 3.5" behind my tank & the wall, and even with that I probably have about 1/2" to spare behind the installed Lifereef outer box. The problem with most of the hang on overflows it that the inner box won't fit in the RSM filter chamber, or that the outer box is too big, or both.

researeef - how are you getting tannins being generated from an algal scrubber? Tannins are normally a freshwater subject and they are introduced by adding driftwood, peat, etc. to a FW tank. Tannins leach out of wood and peat. I may very well be wrong, but I don't see any way any significant tannins could be generated in a SW situation. The yellow color in a SW tank is indeed attributed to organics (and resulting organic pigments) in the water, bit I don't think tannins are the cause in a SW situation? I agree that carbon is used to remove the yellow color organics.

turbiville

I have 2", and I just moved it out another 1/2" on my own. (I think I heard a shrimp scream "WTF!")

I can move it another inch, but I am going to get some help.