algae wont quit?!

jglas26

Alright I haven't been on here for a while, let me get you updated...........
I got a 30g with 20 lbs LR and 40lbs LS - 3 fish. It's been up and running for about 8 months now. The parameters have been ideal and haven't budged for about 3 months.

The plan was to begin adding softies about 2 months ago however, I'm now dealing with an algae problem that's out of control! I'm scraping glass several times a day, I got "bubbly" algae spots growing off my live rock and it's getting into the sand pretty good also? what's up!

Getting back to the parameters.......amm 0, Ni 0, and nitrates haven't elevated over 15ppm in about 3 months.

One thing I can remember is that it started shortly after I added a new light system but it's only a 96watt PC and it runs only about 10 hours a day?

Since the problem started I've stepped up water changes and have been keeping up cleaning the skimmer and other equipment ".

So although the tank is "okay", I'd really like to get this figured out before going any further....any thoughts?

lcstorc

What type of water are you using? What kind of food? Either can feed algae as can overfeeding. Basically the algae is there because there are excess nutrients in your water. Remove the nutrients and the algae starves.

jglas26

That's what I've heard.....I use Ro water and I'm feeding frozen brine once daily...I swear I've been keeping clean everything I can think of? I've noticed for a while that my clean up crew has become VERY LAZY.....not feeding like they used to, build up on the rocks, etc.

What's really getting me is the fact that I only have 3 fish and 1 of them is a Damsel! Not exactly a "heavy bioload". Especially with Remora skimmer.

Any recommendations for a clean up crew for my set up?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
... I'm feeding frozen brine once daily....
Are you rinsing the frozen food before adding to tank? Frozen foods have preservatives... preservatives = Algae Rocket Fuel

T.. I've noticed for a while that my clean up crew has become VERY LAZY.....not feeding like they used to, build up on the rocks, etc.
That's a sign that they have MORE than they need to eat. In that case you need a larger clean up crew.

BigJay

make sure and test your RO water as well. You'd be surprised. Are you feeding so much that your cleaner crew is able to find meaty foods or feeding your cleaning crew directly? I feed mine occasionly but definetly not daily. You might want to even cut back on a couple feedings a week to all the tank inhabitants. Fish tend to need a lot less then you'd think.
meant to ask if your testing for phosphates?

slysock

i have the same exact problem. everything i do, it will not get ride of my algae. i had a horrible case of bubble algae, so i scrubbed every rock, and got a couple of emerald crabs. all they do is eat my sun corral. is there any prescribed medicine to get ride of bubble algae? do they strive more in pc lighting? i have 4*96w pc's