Algae Turf Scrubber

VancityReefer

Anyone wanna take a stab at sharing some pros and cons. More importantly the cons. Seems like a good idea. anyone have one running? Wanna share?

DaveK

IMHO algae scrubbing works, but a berlin type sump with a large, powerful skimmer and optionally a refugium works better.

I ran my system for a number of years using algae scrubbing. I found that nitrates and phosphates did stay down, but since your growing algae in the scrubber it's also easy to grow unwanted algae in the tank. A good clean up crew will help keep this down.

I found that algae are leaky filters and the water can easily become tinted. This can be solved by using skimming and/or carbon filtration in addition to algae scrubbing.

I found the scrubber can act as a mechanical filter and trap dirt, even if you clean it regularly. The result is that until you clean the scrubber the dirt is still in the system. BTY this is true of most mechanical filters.

Perhaps the question here should be what are you considering doing with algae scrubbing?

If I was going to use it today, I would use it like a refugium is used. In other words, supply it with prefiltered water, and let the scrubber go from there. This solves a lot of the down side problems.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
+1 DaveK

I am adding an ATS to my 300 when I get it setup, IMO this will make a great addition to the skimmer and the fuge but personally I'm not gonna try to replace all other filtration equipment/methods.

VancityReefer

Well I had two ideas.
First was to have the return going into the skimmer area with and extra pump for the ATS. ATS would then sit above the fuge supplying the fuge with it's flow and adding to the amphipods/copepods. Then through carbon, maybe a mechanical filter, and back in the DT.

Second idea was to section off the end 5" of my 33 gallon long(48x13x12), like i have on my 29g (30x12x18) with acrylic. The top of the acrylic would be bent past 90 degrees and have a slot cut into it to accommodate the ATS screen. Then wedge a mechanical filter and carbon before my return pump into bulkhead to lockline for my return. so only one pump needed in total. I have this setup running now, with no ATS, I unhooked my power filter 3 months ago. Just run carbon and mechanical filter.

So it seems that my main concern is yellowing of the water and possible contamination into the DT. So To run carbon and a mechanical filter before it returned into your DT would theoretically work? My second question is would this inhibit the copepods/amphipods from entering the DT?

VancityReefer

one question i have is if i have a mecahinical filter and/or carbon after the ATS/fuge will ANY copepods/amphipods make it through back into the DT?

renman303

I don't know of any "Con" to an ATS. I have been using one on my 225 gallon for the past 15 months with outstanding effect. I have not used my Deltec AP851 and I'm selling it. I think 15 months is proof enough for me. I use no chemicals and only do ~10% water change every Saturday. That's it. Scrape one side of the ATS sheets once a month. That is all of the husbandry you need to do aside from cleaning your glass on your tank.

Regards,

Dave

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
.....I use no chemicals and only do ~10% water change every Saturday. That's it. Scrape one side of the ATS sheets once a month. That is all of the husbandry you need to do aside from cleaning your glass on your tank.

That's my schedule except I do water changes on Sunday/Monday... oh and I don't use an ATS or anything like that either. About to push up on the 34 month mark. Some people have had great results with an ATS and others have experience strange "issues" and had to discontinue their use. Just goes to show what works for one tank may or may NOT work for another.