Algae Problems

Frankie

RS STAFF
I think its kinda silly to buy distiled water at the store when you could buy an ro/di unit and be done with the problem. How much do you spend on water every week? add that up to the year and you will see what i mean.

jesse_224

I understand what you are saying, but I only have a 10 gal tank. That works out to .60 a week or about $29 a year. A decent ro/di unit will be around $200-300 right? Plust I live in an apartment and cant mess with the plumbing :(

Frankie

RS STAFF
Oh. :) I didn't pay attention to your tank size sorry! :)

How about getting it from the lfs? Mine sells ro/di water. Maybe yours dose also?

Last edited:

lcstorc

Check with your lfs, but always test the new water as well. It is a good safety net regardless, but many lfs do not replace their filters as often as they should making it even more important.

jesse_224

My lfs does sell water...and pretty cheap. I will try it but my guess is that they dont change their filter. They arent that great. We will see though.

jesse_224

I just tested my cal. and alk.
Cal. 480 ppm
Alk. 143.2 ppm

The 518 is what my LFS told me a few days ago.
This is acceptable params right?

BrothaWolf

I started to have a some bubbles spring up while I was cycling ... I took the rocks out and scrubbed em. The few that returned I carefully scraped off using the tip of my turkey baster (it has a sharp metal end that screws on and off) and sucked em up with the baster. A few also got eaten by my clean up crew before I got to them but Im not sure who did it... Im running phosban now and I use Catalina water in the tank and have had no problems since. You only have a 10 gallon tank so premixed water maybe the way to go. Makes my life so much easier!