Aiptasia?

DaveR11

Just been playing with my scape and using to coral putty to fix the bits I like when I saw this on one of my two new pieces of live rock. Its right at the back on the tank so difficult to get a decent picture of...

Off to the LFS for some Aiptasia X?

JKT

I struggled with aptasia for over a year. I used Aptasia X and it helped, but never really got rid of the little buggers for good. I finally bought 4 peppermint shrimp and that finally did the trick. I haven't seen a single aptasia in months.

DaveR11

Yes, aiptasia. Check out this thread, lots of great info and suggestions on it:
Aiptasia: taking care of business

Brilliant Oxy, great link. I've just had a quick scan through the thread and I like the idea of the biological control over the chemical. At present I can only see two anemones so maybe a peppermint shrimp if I can find the right species. Copperband butterfly is on my reserve fish species list but would I lose my little tube worms and other small inverts with a copperband? Also mine is a very new tank so probably not a good idea to put something like a copperband in at this stage.

I will have to see what the LFS has.....

Snelly40

Brilliant Oxy, great link. I've just had a quick scan through the thread and I like the idea of the biological control over the chemical. At present I can only see two anemones so maybe a peppermint shrimp if I can find the right species. Copperband butterfly is on my reserve fish species list but would I lose my little tube worms and other small inverts with a copperband? Also mine is a very new tank so probably not a good idea to put something like a copperband in at this stage.

I will have to see what the LFS has.....

all good ideas... some people have trouble with copperbands because once the aiptasia is gone sometimes there's no more viable food source. Not quite as pretty is a Tahitian Butterfly, sorry to any tahitian butterfly fish reading this, but still a good looking fish and they love some aiptasia and they readily take mysis as well...
i never personally had luck with pepermints eating them but i've heard they can be hit or miss...
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+25+306&pcatid=306

Oxylebius

The copperband will most likely wipe out all your feather dusters as well. So, you may not want to go that route. I've used aiptasia-x with some success. With the really large aips you may have to hit them a couple of times w/aiptiasia-x (they may shrivel for a couple of days and then rebound, when this happens squirt them again).

frisbee

If you can remove that rock with ease you might want to try burning the Aiptaisa off with a cigarette lighter or something. The rock will turn a little black, but this can usually be rubbed off with a little water and your finger.