Aiptasia: taking care of business

So I find myself needing to get rid of the aiptasia in my tank as I think it's about to have an outbreak.

I've read about injecting with lemon juice which on the surface seems to be easy enough. Has anyone done this and do they have any tips?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I've never tried it. I've also heard injecting them with hot (be careful) water works as well.

I've successfully used a combination of peppermint shrimp and Aptasia-X to eradicate them from my tank.

reefer gladness

Dunno about lemon juice but I know folks use Joe' Juice, Aiptasia X, kalk paste and boiling water (use a syringe).

And in my experience none of those methods will eliminate aiptasia, you'll only be able to control what you can see and reach easily.

Find some real peppermint shrimps and be done with it. I keep two in my tank and they keep the display free of aiptasia.

frisbee

How old is your tank? If it's fairly new, you might want to take the rock out and burn the aiptasia off with a lighter. IME peppermint shrimp seem to be hit & miss when it comes down to eating aiptasia, not to mention the fact that one day they might get a taste for your corals. The two peppermint shrimp that I have right now pay no attention whatsoever to the one aiptasia that I'm aware of in my tank. Also, yesterday it looked as if one of them had something in it's grasp. It was fiddling with it for at least an hour. Upon further inspection it was a stomatella snail. The more I look around, I'm finding these small shiny shells on the sand bed. There's no reason why these snails should be dying off on there own unless the shrimps are attacking them. Be careful with these... GL.

pablomay28

So I find myself needing to get rid of the aiptasia in my tank as I think it's about to have an outbreak.

I've read about injecting with lemon juice which on the surface seems to be easy enough. Has anyone done this and do they have any tips?

I have tried aiptasia x a total of 4 times on the same aipatasia on the same place it dissapears for a few days then returns in the same spot. I got 3 peppermint shrimp and have yet to touch the aiptasia.

The tank is only 7 months old so I haven't put any corals in yet.

With one of the smaller pieces of rock I was able to take it off and remove it but the biggest one is really wedged in between some big rocks that I am not keen on moving.

I got a filefish to assist with the situation but he is more interested in brine shrimp than the aiptasia.

Frisbee it's funny you should mention snail shells turning up everywhere as tonight I noticed that as well. I figured that might be my pistol shrimp.

Was thinking of going down the peppermint shrimp route as well but have heard mixed results.

coralrama

I don't think my peppermint shrimp has eaten any aipstasia either. He likes to run out and eat any mysis shrimp I am target feeding to the softies. Very helpful :-(

Saltyhog

I got a few in my sump from some chaeto a friend gave me. Aiptasia X killed everyone I tried it on the first time. Got to get him to wrap his tentacles around the needle while starting the flow and then covering that sucker up!

Clint24

I've had better luck with a copperband butterfly fish than any shrimp. Plus they are a cool fish to watch in a DT!! Good luck. Aiptasia's can be a pain. :)

CD

3dees

I have one aptasia on a rock at the bottom so I can't remove it. I used boiling lemon juice but the aptaisa comes back in a few weeks. I have four peppermints who won't touch it.

Snid

The Peppermint Shrimp may be hit or miss, but for me it has been a success. And because I prefer trying anything natural before chemical, I'm happy with that approach. If my Peppermint Shrimp weren't doing the job, I'd next try hitting it with Lime/Lemon Juice or Boiled RODI water via a syringe. What you do here is suck up the juice or boiling RODI water into a syringe, get the tip close to the mouth of the Aiptasia without touching it, and blast it. This kills it before it can reproduce. Disturbing Aiptasia causes it to reproduce/spread. Lastly, if those methods didn't work for me, I'd go with Aiptasia-X as many have had great success with it. I just prefer leaving chemical treatments as a last resort myself.

P.S. - the day my Peppermint Shrimp decides to attack other things in my tank like Coral or Snails, is the day he finds his way into my Refugium. Easy, Done.

Oxylebius

I've successfully used a combination of peppermint shrimp and Aptasia-X to keep them in check in my tank.

Oxylebius

I just posted this on another link....but it may benefit you here as well....

There are a number of peppermint shrimp that look very similar that are sold with the name "peppermint shrimp, Lysmata spp.. There is only one of these that is known to kill aiptasia and that is the Lysmata wurdemanni. Again, my main point here is that since these many different peppermints are sold in the aquarium trade, you may not be getting Lysmata wurdemanni, but a different Lysmata shrimp. Here is a photo of the various Lysmata shrimp sold in the aquarium trade.

Photo Reference

I've had three different species listed above before I came across the Lysmata wurdemanni. Which is what I currently have and does attack aiptasia. I only use aiptasia-x on the large anemones and the shrimp loves to follow-up and tear them apart.

This is why you hear stories of peppermint shrimps not going after aiptasia. And another consideration is that if the shrimp is young or if the aiptasia is way too large, the shrimp will also not go after the aiptasia. These aiptasia anems can get 1.5-2 inches in diameter, the size of the shrimp.... this may be why they hesitate to go after the large ones..... again this has been my experience.

Other options
Aiptasia Removal - What's Your Preferred Method?
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/aiptasia-removal-whats-your-preferred-method

The different methods devised over the years to fight back against encroaching Aiptasia:

* Commercial chemical products: Joe's Juice, Red Sea Aiptasia-X
* Electrical: Aiptasia Zapper
* Home-made: saturated kalkwasser paste, lemon juice
* Natural: Berghia verrucicornis nudibrachs, Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni), Copperband Butterflyfish (Chelmon rostrata), Raccoon Butterflyfish (Chaetodon lunula), Long-nosed Butterflyfishes (Forcipiger spp.), etc.
* Un-natural: Fire (torch), boiling water (take precaution with un-natural ways - read article for more on this)

Last edited:

reefer gladness

A) Lysmata wurdemanni
(B) Lysmata rathbunae
(C) Lysmata ankeri
(D) Lysmata boggessi
(E) Lysmata pederseni
(F) Lysmata bahia

Also, one thing I think should be mentioned about the nudibranches Oxy mentioned - they will slowly starve once they run out of aiptasia to eat.

Oxylebius

That was bad advice you received. Peppermint shrimp, like all omnivores, will eat just about anything you are feeding your fish, even fish poop. What is nice is that they do love going after the aips also, but they won't starve once all the aips are gone.

Nudibranchs have specialized diets and will starve once the aips are eliminated in your tank. They won't eat anything else. Best thing to do with them is join a local club and share the nudi, once it is done in your tank pass it along to someone else who has aips that need to be eliminated.

rossisdad

As a relative newbe with a tank just maturing I had the pests on just one rock. The easiest method I've found is to make a paste from marine salt, and with a pipette dose it onto the anemone, seems to kill the small ones instantly,

Cheers and good zapping
Rossis dad

Time for an update... so I ordered 6 peppermint shrimp online and they arrived yesterday (well 5 to be exact as one was DOA).

I am not sure how big they are suppose to be as they are quite small, but my Harlequin Tusk made very short work of 4 of them and the loner is just hanging out in a cave. Am thinking this is not the end - in fact it seems this adventure shall continue!!

Lemon juice seems like the next best option to me so shall let you know how that goes.