AI Sol question

lilj104

I have gained a liking for this light fixture and wanted to know others opinions on it. If its not the best option what other LED light fixture would be a better choice?

tommyboynj

I've had mine for about two months now. I have 2 super blues over my 75 mixed reef. I LOVE the controllability of the units. All of my existing corals seem to be doing fine although 8 weeks is really to early to tell. The other 3 frags I added since then are also doing nicely. I'm currently running the lights at 38/48/48 at their peak and continue to ramp them up. These thing put out a lot of light so be carful and acclimate your tank.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Steved has had them on his tank for a while and his tank is beautiful and thriving. Check out his thread.

steved13

PREMIUM
Thanks John.

Yes, I've had them since I started my tank and I'm very pleased with them. Some of the newer stuff with fancy colors are kind of cool, and might be fun, but to keep the spend down, the Sols are a great option IMO.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I don't think you can go wrong with the AI's......i've heard good things about them.

One warning though (this goes for all LED's) start your intensity low.......and when you think it is time to take it up 5%, wait 2 more weeks! I've been victim of this myself......only to find that it takes my corals about a week to tell me they didn't like the last increase. LED's put off a lot of light.....and most PAR meters don't read the blue light correctly so it is definitley a lot of light. It will pay off in the end.

lilj104

Now how do I acclimate new corals to an already existing LED light set up. Would decreasing the intensity effect the current corals?

lilj104

Thanks John.

Yes, I've had them since I started my tank and I'm very pleased with them. Some of the newer stuff with fancy colors are kind of cool, and might be fun, but to keep the spend down, the Sols are a great option IMO.

If you have a link to your forum I would like to read it

steved13

PREMIUM
Now how do I acclimate new corals to an already existing LED light set up. Would decreasing the intensity effect the current corals?

Most corals should be added on the substrate and then moved up gradually over a couple of weeks or so. If it's a light loving coral, lik most SPS you can probably go right to the top, or midway and then moved up.

lilj104

Most corals should be added on the substrate and then moved up gradually over a couple of weeks or so. If it's a light loving coral, lik most SPS you can probably go right to the top, or midway and then moved up.

Ok, so I do not necessarily have to lower the intensity of the lights? right?

do you think I can get away with one, or will I need two AI Sol on a 65g 36 x 18 x 24

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
You can "get away" with one but you'd have to mount it high to get a decent light spread throughout the tank....won't be very strong light. I (personally) would go with two........but you can always start with 1 and add another in a month or two.

lilj104

You can "get away" with one but you'd have to mount it high to get a decent light spread throughout the tank....won't be very strong light. I (personally) would go with two........but you can always start with 1 and add another in a month or two.

i think i am planning on doing the 2..but how high above the tank should I sit it

Hey thought I would throw in my 2 cents! I have a pair of AI sols blue over my 65gal. LOVE THEM! matter of fact I bought another pair for a future tank I dont even own yet haha.. But they are amazing so far. Love the controls. Simple to use.