AI Blue Sol just plugged in and unimpressed

angnak

I cranked them up to 100% just to see and it looks like I have just added another moon light strip with a few whites mixed in. People say you need to acclimate your corals to it. It looks like I could keep it cranked up all the way the corals would suffer. Anyone else have this experience. I have three units so it is not just one unit. Am I missing something? Everyone is saying these are so bright, etc...

twoclowns

strange everything I have read and pictures I have seen have been great I ordered 5 of them recently and am waiting for them to ship. Maybe you got a bad batch? Do you have them only on no other lighting on? have you gone into the controller to set it at midday 100% maybe its on a sunrise at a low setting?

angnak

I turned it to manual and had it out put at 100% for all lights. The controller says what intensity they are at and it said 100 for all.

twoclowns

I would call there tech support sounds like something isnt right as everything I have seen they are crazy bright

angnak

Yea. Gonna call tomorrow. One is have a blue LED issue. All blues come on very dim or all off even at 100%. When they are on you can see a difference in the blue. So definitely have one bad unit. We will see. I will let you know.

angnak

Here is a pic of the blues. The blue LEDs are the ones on top of the pyramid towards the top of the pic. The pic on the left has dimmer blues. more dim.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 181
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 177

steved13

PREMIUM
Are you using the AI controller or a different one?

Also with the optics they won't look very bright unless you look at them straight on...which I don't recommend.

angnak

I am using the AI controller. I have done two firmware updates. You can see the difference in the tank. Trust me, I won't look directly at the lights. I will get a shot of the tank so you can see a little better.

steved13

PREMIUM
I just got 2 of the modules myself, I'm using the neptune Apex and it's a little cumbersome to control the white and blues, that's why I was asking, it would be easy to get it wrong. I will probably switch to the AI controller(s).

angnak

No news yet. He said he would talk to the engineer. Anyone else think they are not that bright? From personal experience? Just comparing to the the various LED setups at the LFS. I went from 3 250w mh and two atinics spread over the 6' tank. I mean it looks like they are just bright moon lights.

angnak

I have the two that seem to be working plugged in. I was told these are very comparable to metal halides. Mine just really don't seem very bright. It looks like at 100% I need no acclimation. Everywhere I read and reviews say these are very bright. My LFS has many different LEDs setup and these are no where near as nice. Any reason why they might not be all that bright. Most of my corals are closed and acting like it is night time. Deflated. Never bounced bakck from the few hours I had my halides off getting the new hood on with these going.

steved13

PREMIUM
I noticed if they are not high enough above the tank there are very bright spots and dark spots. It doesn't sound like that's what you have but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

twoclowns

I'm really stumped everyone says they put out tons of light and are very bright hope support can figure it out.

angnak

They are 18" above the tank. I just wanted to clarify. I don't have them on 100%. I have them at 40% to acclimate. I know my eyes dont see it as bright but the PAR is still there. I am still going through the aacclimation. Just when cranked up I am underwhelmed.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
How high are they above the tank? It does look like one unit might be bad, based on the pictures. I have one unit on my 24" tank, about 5" above the water, and have it turned down to 40% Royal Blue,40% Blue,and 30% White, and it's very bright. It's even bright with just the 2 blues on at 40% each. I have all 70 degree optics to get a better light spread.

NewLeds5_1_2011.jpg

Robzilla

LED's...if proper 3W LED's....are supposed to be stupid bright......like burn the stuffing out of your corals bright. I talked to my LFS about AI Sol units and they told me to start them at 15 or 20 percent. Something fishy (pun totally intended) is going on here!