AHA! Pictures, coral??

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I swap out my foamies every other day!! I have three of them and I always have a clean/fresh one on hand. I turn off the pump, do a quick swap and turn the pump back on. Then I take the "spent" foamie to the sink and rinse it like crazy! Occasionally I will take the sponge and soak it in vinegar for an hour or so (gotta rinse like CRAZY again) but I feel it needs more than just a water batch. Those foamies can get REALLY rank really quickly. also before I yank out the dirty one I will usually try to do any stirring up before hand so that I physically remove as much YUCK from my tank all at once!!

Hope this helps MORE than it confuses!!

Allen :)

kathywithbirds

Ew.
Is there anything else I can put in the filter to mroe effectively filter it?

I was hesitant to rinse the foam pad, I was thinking tap water residue might introduce chlorine (etc..) into the tank, but maybe I can rinse it with salt water?

I'm hoping the skimmer will help. It's Lee's, recommended by this site actually.

DrHank

You can replace the filter with a nano skimmer. Do some research before you buy one. Get on the Nano Forum and read like crazy. Your Live rock is your biological filter. You can (and should) run carbon for chemical. But a skimmer removes organics before they can turn to ammonia. Some nano keepers use a poly pad to remove contaminants.

You may just want to remove the foam pad and replace it with activated carbon. Finally, think 60 cube!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Is it one of these? they do work very well for the price but you will have to fiddle a bit . Steve

Last edited:

kathywithbirds

Is it one of these? they do work very well for the price but you will have to fiddle a bit . Steve

Yeah, that's it!!

And I can really replace the filter with the skimmer? hhmmm...
But since it's a cube type, I'll probably wind up just hooking the thing up in addition to the filter.