Age of a tank

Varga

I have an 11 year old 40 gallon, I just re-seal everytime it happens to be empty. I believe the answer is "forever" silicone is like pavement, does not go back to nature :)

ASH

What do you mean you re-sealed everything???

I've got this tank that's never been used but I think it's over 5 years old. I'm trying to call my mom and get the exact age but she's not answering LOL.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Varga I think you hit it...
I just re-seal everytime it happens to be empty.

I haven't ever had a tank "come apart" but I have heard of times where the silicone did come away from the glass. Not sure how but tank seals do go bad with time. I don't have this in writing but something in my memory tells me that 10 years or so. That's NOT gospel and only a figment of my imagination! I'm sure some others have a better view of this than I do.

G!N+T0N!K

There are probably a lot of variables that contribute to a tanks lifespan. Like was it ever dropped, is there gouges in the silicone, any deep scores in the glass. If you are worried about the silicone maybe adding a new layer should give you piece of mind? I just hear about leaks.

lcstorc

Knock on wood and please don't jynx me but my 125 was used for 10 years and then sat in a garage for an unknown time period and is still up and leak free after having it up here for aboiut 3 yrs.
(Please tank, don't break now. :) )

ASH

Sweet....I guess I'm gonna start cleaning the new tank and get things ready. I got slack and haven't did anything yet....I went to lunch with some friends then went to the beach. Had a great day and now it's time to get serious and get this stuff done lol

Varga

ASH, just get some silicone and apply another bead to all the seems and it should be good as new. if they are peeling off you might want to remove the and apply new silicone.

ASH

Phase 1 is complete. Got the 29gal emptied and the stand is in my room now. That was pretty easy. Now its time for phase 2 moving everything else in my room.

WISH ME LUCK!!!

ASH

Ok I gotta rinse my sand....I didn't do this the first time I set up my 30 gal tank so I wanna make sure I do it right.....How do you go about doing this. Can I use tap water to rinse it?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ash what TYPE of sand are you using? Is it "Live Sand"? If the answer is YES then NO rinsing. If it's "Just" sand then rinse but I don't use "Tap" water for anything anymore. With that said I do have an RO/DI to that helps make that decision for me.

What did you get done last night/this morning? I know what it's like to be a total Night Owl :)