AGA tanks $$$$

danfish

today i got a quote from my LFS for a AGA reef ready 120 gal (48x24x24)w/dual megaflows for $580 is this a reasonal price it seems kind of high to me.

oh i forgot another $110 for the 2 overflow kit thats almost $700

bought my 180 gal AGA (72x24x24) w/ 2 overflows for $525 and they threw in the pipe for the overflows...had to haggle a little for the free pipes.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Just called my local guy... $479 for those specs. $75 for the megaflows.

I used the Durso design... really simple and inexpensive to build. :thumbup:

billyr98

danfish, your best bet is to call like 3 LFS and let them beat each other up.. Or if you are going to buy corals at a LFS, as them for some good pricing for future business... The store near me sells AGA at cost, so I never haggle..

XBwlr

Danfish...
I was looking at that same tank... they said the price was higher because the tank isn't made as much as the other "regular" sized tanks... kind of like a speciality tank.

Sounded like a crock to me though. :dummy:

BrothaWolf

Danfish...
I was looking at that same tank... they said the price was higher because the tank isn't made as much as the other "regular" sized tanks... kind of like a speciality tank.

Someones lyin to you my LFS guy offered me that tank for $725 will all plumbing, glass canopy and pine stand... same price as the oceanic 70 I was looking at...

danfish

Danfish...

lol they said the same thing to me

ronp507

billyr98, canyou tell me the name of the store that sells the AGA tank?
I'm just over the bridge on the PA side.

XBwlr

Someones lyin to you my LFS guy offered me that tank for $725 will all plumbing, glass canopy and pine stand... same price as the oceanic 70 I was looking at...

Knowing the LFS around here... yea... probably is.

There's not much market in southern Ohio... you have to go up to Columbus or over to Cincinnati for the better deals.

Hey danfish... looks like someone is lying to you too. :laughroll

XBwlr

"BrothaWolf has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space."

I was going to ask where you're located... if it's close, I might want to get in touch with your LFS. :)

BrothaWolf

"BrothaWolf has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space."

I was going to ask where you're located... if it's close, I might want to get in touch with your LFS. :)

Ack sorry about that I cleaned out my mail box... Im in NY you would spend more in gas here and back but Im sure LFS would be happy to sell you a tank!

Witfull

billyr98, canyou tell me the name of the store that sells the AGA tank?
I'm just over the bridge on the PA side.

billy and i shop together and are neighbors. discount aqaurium center in marlton. reef dave was there,,,till he ran away to florida~

tell Bill, the Owner i sent ya,,,,and maybe he wont charge you more~

STAR RIDGE

I THINK YOU GUYS ARE FORGETTING THAT YOUR LFS NEEDS TO TURN A PROFIT TO STAY IN BUSINESS AND BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO STOCK THE ITEMS YOU NEED FOR YOUR REEFS. EVERY ITEM IN THESE SHOPS IS LIKE CASH SITTING ON THE SHELF. NONE OF THE PET SUPPLY CO. I KNOW GIVE TERMS. ALL ARE COD. THAT MEANS THAT THE OWNER HAS HIS MONEY TIED UP UNTIL THOSE PRODUCTS SELL. THE ONLY OTHER WAY A STORE CAN SELL DRY GOODS AT COST IS IF THEY ARE SHAFTING YOU ON LIVESTOCK. I HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR 15 YEARS AND NEED TO MAKE A PROFIT OR I AM WORKING 6 DAYS A WEEK FOR NOTHING. PEOPLE JUST NEED TO REMEMBER THAT IF THE COMPANY YOU WORK FOR COULD NOT MAKE A PROFIT YOU WOULD NOT HAVE A JOB.

I AGREE TO SHOP AROUND BECAUSE THERE ARE DISHONEST PEOPLE IN BUSINESS, BUT DON'T DEVALUE THE HOBBY AND DENY THE STORE A FAIR PROFIT. THE PRICE QUOTED ABOVE IS ABOUT 46.00 OVER ACTUAL COST. I THINK THE TIME SPENT TO EDUCATE THE CUSTOMER AND GO OVER ALL OPTIONS IS WORTH MORE THAN 46.00. THE INFO, ADVISE AND EXPERIENCE HAS GOT TO BE WORTH SOMETHING. SORRY, DON'T MEAN TO SOUND BITTER BUT I AM TIRED OF BEING NICKEL AND DIMED TO DEATH TO BE BEAT OUT BY ONLINE RETAILERS WHO STOCK VERY LITTLE AND CAN'T GIVE REAL ADVICE FACE TO FACE. JOE.

BrothaWolf

I THINK YOU GUYS ARE FORGETTING THAT YOUR LFS NEEDS TO TURN A PROFIT TO STAY IN BUSINESS AND BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO STOCK THE ITEMS YOU NEED FOR YOUR REEFS. EVERY ITEM IN THESE SHOPS IS LIKE CASH SITTING ON THE SHELF. NONE OF THE PET SUPPLY CO. I KNOW GIVE TERMS. ALL ARE COD. THAT MEANS THAT THE OWNER HAS HIS MONEY TIED UP UNTIL THOSE PRODUCTS SELL. THE ONLY OTHER WAY A STORE CAN SELL DRY GOODS AT COST IS IF THEY ARE SHAFTING YOU ON LIVESTOCK. I HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR 15 YEARS AND NEED TO MAKE A PROFIT OR I AM WORKING 6 DAYS A WEEK FOR NOTHING. PEOPLE JUST NEED TO REMEMBER THAT IF THE COMPANY YOU WORK FOR COULD NOT MAKE A PROFIT YOU WOULD NOT HAVE A JOB.

I AGREE TO SHOP AROUND BECAUSE THERE ARE DISHONEST PEOPLE IN BUSINESS, BUT DON'T DEVALUE THE HOBBY AND DENY THE STORE A FAIR PROFIT. THE PRICE QUOTED ABOVE IS ABOUT 46.00 OVER ACTUAL COST. I THINK THE TIME SPENT TO EDUCATE THE CUSTOMER AND GO OVER ALL OPTIONS IS WORTH MORE THAN 46.00. THE INFO, ADVISE AND EXPERIENCE HAS GOT TO BE WORTH SOMETHING. SORRY, DON'T MEAN TO SOUND BITTER BUT I AM TIRED OF BEING NICKEL AND DIMED TO DEATH TO BE BEAT OUT BY ONLINE RETAILERS WHO STOCK VERY LITTLE AND CAN'T GIVE REAL ADVICE FACE TO FACE. JOE.

Ouch! Lighten up Francis. (Stripes starring Bill Murray!) Seriously though... My post was not intended to offend. The "Someone is lying to you" part of my comment was meant in a 1/2 light hearted way. There are a number of LFS guys on this site and I value their opinions highly! Further, my comment was not intended to "DEVALUE" the hobby. (Sorry guys your tanks are now worth 25% less because of my post.) If in fact you read this entire thread you would know from the context that I was referring to the fact that he was told the price was higher because "the tank isnt made as much as the other tanks..." You might as well tell him the price is higher because the moon is made of cheese. You dont even need to say anything. Its your store you can mark up your items as much as you want.... doesnt mean Im gonna pay it and if Im laying out $750 you better bet Im gonna shop around. You certainly dont need to make things up about it. Your price is what it is. I dont know any Online Retailers that will ship a tank that size... We must rely on the LFS... He asked if he was getting a good deal. I told him what I was offered for the same tank from my LFS guy thats all. This thread has nothing to do with Online Retailers. A couple of the LFS's from my old neighborhood sell the tanks at cost to gain your business. One would even throw in a metal stand that they would weld up in the back of the store. The LFS I deal with here just orders the tanks from their supplier to keep their overhead down... they get them in the shop in 3 or 4 days. I will wait 3 or 4 days if it keeps the cost to me down.... His prices are fair on livestock also. Unless its any of the fish that live in his reef tank... they are all $1000 :tears:

STAR RIDGE

Further, my comment was not intended to "DEVALUE" the hobby. (Sorry guys your tanks are now worth 25% less because of my post.)
I WAS REFERRING TO HOBBIEST TRYING TO TALK PRIVATE SHOP OWNERS DOWN TO AN UNPROFITABLE POINT IN ORDER TO MAKE A SALE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING, BUT I AM SURE YOU DO NOT SELL YOUR SELF SHORT.

If in fact you read this entire thread you would know from the context that I was referring to the fact that he was told the price was higher because "the tank isnt made as much as the other tanks..." You might as well tell him the price is higher because the moon is made of cheese.
I DID READ THE ENTIRE QUOTE, THAT IS WHY I RESPONDED. I AGREE THAT MAKING A 120 SOUND SPECIAL IS REDICULOUS. IT IS JUST AS AVAILABLE AS ANY OTHER AGA TANK.

I dont know any Online Retailers that will ship a tank that size... We must rely on the LFS...
I WAS NOT REFERING ONLY TO LARGE TANKS, BUT TO ALL DRY GOODS AND LIVESTOCK. I JUST GET TIRED OF PEOPLE COMING INTO MY SHOP, ASKING ME 1,000 QUESTIONS( WHICH I ANSWER FREELY AND HONESTLY WITH A GENUINE SMILE) TAKE UP 2 HOURS OF TIME AND THEN PULL OUT A DRS CATALOG OR A SOLUTION CATALOG AND ASKING ME TO MATCH THE PRICE. I CAN'T COMPETE ON PRICE BUT THEY JUST GOT LOTS OF INFO FOR FREE. CAN YOU SEE MY POINT?

I JUST WANT PEOPLE TO SEE THE VALUE AND CONVENIENCE OF THIER LFS FOR MORE THAN FREE ADVISE AND INFO. DID NOT MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE EITHER, JUST WANTED TO SHOW AN OPINION FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE. JOE