Advice on skimmer choice

carmexx

I am on the market for a new skimmer. I have a 57 rimless with 20 gallon sump. I had a vertex omega 150. It is big and pulled out sludge but had problems with the impellers. I was thinking about going for a omega 130 or an aquamaxx cos1. My price range is about $260.00. These are what i have found so far. The aquamaxx i hear only good things about. Now I was thinking Skimz too but i read that they had impeller issues too. Love to hear some feedback before i go and order one.

pablomay28

I am on the market for a new skimmer. I have a 57 rimless with 20 gallon sump. I had a vertex omega 150. It is big and pulled out sludge but had problems with the impellers. I was thinking about going for a omega 130 or an aquamaxx cos1. My price range is about $260.00. These are what i have found so far. The aquamaxx i hear only good things about. Now I was thinking Skimz too but i read that they had impeller issues too. Love to hear some feedback before i go and order one.

I have heard that the aquamaxx pumps are a bit noisy. Vertex Omega has great reviews and many people love them. I have not heard about any empeller issues. I think either pump would be good. If i were you id just replace the impeller and save $$$. If u want to save money on a skimmer I recommend the Reef Octopus 110 for $195

Last edited:

carmexx

Thanks for quick info. I guess i should go into a bit more detail about my situation. I sold my omega 150 a while back. I had to replace the impellers 2 times, both of which under warranty. Apparently they had a bad batch. So I bought a used ref octopus SRO 1000 int. Well lets say I hate it. I have trouble keeping it dialed it in. I have had it with this thing! Maybe others feel differently but I want to part with it. So far I have not heard any issues with the Omega 130 but it uses the similar sicce pump and I don't know if those impellers had the same issues. Now I read only great things about aquamaxx, no issues and straight up performance. The em 200 does look enticing with the 6 inch body and I can fit it in my sump at 9 inch depth. I'm gonna keep digging. Love to hear more feedback b/c there are spring sales goin on and end soon.

pablomay28

Hey Carmexx!!!

Just saw the Vertex Omega 130 for $249 on Bulk Reef Supply. They have it on discount $70 cheaper. Im not gonna lie I actually got one. Ill test it compared to the reef octopus and see how good it does when it gets here.