Advice on Radion xr30w for RSM130D

Skyfire

Hi there,

I've got a Radion xr30w waiting to be fitted inside the hood. I'm still thinking how I can fit it inside the hood without any cutting or drilling. I've seen someone who has his fitted with velcro and double sided tape, but I'm not sure how exactly it was fitted as the top of the hood is a bit curvy (not flat).

Any problem with overheating? Can you share your graph/setting for the light please?

Many thanks in advance.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

this thread below may have some help in it... the Radion xr30w are very nice lights ! Post us some pics & conversion shots !

http://reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/red-sea-max-led-conversions.73998/

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I put two in my 250. I removed the lights but left the bracket that the reflectors and lights mounted to. I also left the hood fans. I used mending strips from Lowes, stainless steel screws and washers to mount the radions in the hood. This allowed to paise the Radion up in the hood and allow for more air circulation on the side with the pucks and the fan. Leaving the hood fans creates more circulation. I left the timer in to run the fans. The only cutting I did was with a Dremel to make an opening to run the power cord out.

reefer gladness

Here's the build thread where the tape and Velcro was used.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/...g-radion-xr30w-g2-in-the-rsm-130d-hood.89534/

If the XR30W can fit inside the reflector that would be my first choice for installation. Punch a couple holes in the reflector if necessary for zip-ties and remove the brackets that are in the way.

RapidLED has a nice instruction set for their retrofit kit that shows how they mount their heat sink inside the reflector that might help.

http://vinnymarini.com/pictures/rapid_docs/RapidLED RSM130D Retrofit Kit.pdf

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Leaving the reflector in will drop the fixture down closer to the acrylic cover and will not leave as much room for air circulation. I also can't remember how thick that reflector is. I am not sure it is thick enough to zip tie the light to.
I use the screws that came with my radions, the one that you can use to hang the light by to mount mine into the mending strips. You could probably run zip ties thought the holes, but as I mentioned I wanted to get the lights as high into the hood as I could.
Also, by removing the reflector it opened the inside of the top more and I was able to add an additional fan to each side

Skyfire

Thanks very much for all of your helpful replies.

The modification was successfully completed last night. Relatively straight forward. The biggest problem is the Reeflink. It's hard to setup and the connection is not stable via wifi. I'm working with Ecotech for troubleshooting.

Anyways, I will start a new thread soon with photos.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Which way did you mount it?
I actually hooked mine up to my Apex since I already had it.
Though about getting the Reeflink but it was adding more equipment and once the Fusion Beta came online and I was part of it, it was an easy hook up.

Skyfire

I haven't got any controller. I'm using Reeflink to control the Radion, instead of using USB to connect to computer.

I don'tt think there is much point for you to get Reeflink since you are using Apex. Apex is a much more powerful controller.

Just my two cents.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I haven't got any controller. I'm using Reeflink to control the Radion, instead of using USB to connect to computer.

I don'tt think there is much point for you to get Reeflink since you are using Apex. Apex is a much more powerful controller.

Just my two cents.

I agree. When I first got my Radions you could not control them with the Apex, I had to use the computer. The Reeflink had also not been released. I debated when the Reeflink came out whether to get it and then they announced that the Apex would eventually be able to control them. I only considered the Reeflink because I thought it might have been more of a plug and play. From this thread sounds like hooking them up to fusion was easier.

Last edited: