advice on 120g stand

soriano

do i have enough support?
The load will be carried by the 6 verticals.

I know alot of people add additional 2x4s to support the horizontal perimeter... but since it is a perimeter, alot of force and leverage would be needed to pry the horizontals from the vertical legs...

Thoughts
PS. Im not done yet... :) just wondering about the support.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 97

Warnberg

Humm.... 120 gallons of sea water at approx 8 lbs per gallon + approx 120 lbs rock + tank + sand = approx a ton plus or minus a few 100 lbs..... you think it will hold it?

I would make sure all joints are screwed and glued and test it outside before hand.

boozeman

I feel that there would be too much shear force placed on the nails between the vertical stud members and the top perimeter square. keep in mind that, as warnberg pointed out, there will be alot of weight...all that would be needed is a slight shearing of those two pieces for the connection to fail.
I would either use threaded bolts that go thru both members or placing another vertical stud under the perimeter to support it.

...it is better to be safe, than sorry :D

pmac90

Booze beat me to it. 2x4's under the perimeter 2x4's (say, 4 corners) and a house could sit on it!! your support right now is more on screws then wood. I would say most over build there stands (which is fine). if you look at what "stock" stands are built like, any home built one is better. haha looks good so far though! oh, is this in wall or will it be sheethed in plywood? cause ply (our normal stands) will add even more support!
keep the pics coming.

soriano

Thanks for the input guys!
I think the 6 verticals will be enough but maybe i'll add 2x4s where the red indicates below. I built the stand behind it using the same design and it holds a 90g. (i don't think i really needed the extra 2x4, but this is a larger tank and needed input.

To answer your question, i am planning on making it an inwall just as you mentioned... check out the floor plan!!! WOO HOO

Attachments

• Copy of Picture 002.jpg
    Copy of Picture 002.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Copy of Picture 003.jpg
    Copy of Picture 003.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 88
  • basement layout.JPG
    basement layout.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 85

Pro_builder

I would either use threaded bolts that go thru both members or placing another vertical stud under the perimeter to support it.

...it is better to be safe, than sorry :D

They are right!!! The other option would be to use 3/4" plywood under the outside 2x4's that is tight against the top and bottom, this way the load is carried through the plywood. But, if you do it this way you will have to make sure that the tank sits directly above the plywood, so it doesn't try to roll the 2x4's over and cause a loss of support. I would also glue the outside 2x4's with a PL400 or waterproof Sub Floor Adheasive.

boozeman

yes, adding studs where the red lines are changes everything...good, strong stand :D
nice layout..looking foward to the build thread :lurk:

pmac90

that would be a bingo! plan looks great, soriano! definately keep us up to date with plenty of pics... i love in wall builds!

soriano

Notice how i titled the room behind the tank the 'office'?! hahaha... i don't think i would have gotten the go ahead from the other half if I told her it was a fish room....hahahaha

cioutlaw

I agree with everyone else, here is a thread from my stand build http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/diy/10534-my-120gal-diy-stand-project.html & a rough sketch of the original plan. Hope it helps
blueprint1.jpg

lcstorc

Are you going to be able to see the tank from both sides? That would be awesome. My tank is viewable from 3 sides (The overflow is on on of the short sides and the only place not viewable) and I doubt I will ever go with a standard tank where you can't see the back.
Looking at your floor plan having it viewable from the office and the family room would be incredible.

soriano

lcstorc: yep it will be viewable from both sides!! :) i was thinking of tinting the back side so you cant see into the office, but can see out to the living room. What do you guys think?

Had to make an adjustment to the stand. (forgot to accomodate the drill hole for the overflow.

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 55
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 57

lcstorc

I don't think the tinting will hold up to the salt creep that you are bound to have. I would leave it clear if you can.
Looks like everything is coming together nicely. Can't wait to see the finished product. If I ever get my upgrade I want to do something similar in a wall in my living room.

pmac90

I think the tinting idea is cool. but probably won't work out. one, if you don't have your rocks in the middle, you won't be able to clean coralline off of it. And, two, depending if you use a see through film it might make a reflection and drive your fish crazy fighting with themselves.

Looking good.
As for the view,
I'd paint the interior of the office blue and keep your equipment out of sight for a great illusion of depth.

soriano

Good points on the tint and painting the office blue!
Your right-the reflection produced by tint might upset the fish...

But I wonder if any solid color back drop (on the outside of the tank) would do that... hmmm.....