Additional substrate

imaccat

Hi,

Well I given it about 6 weeks and I am still getting a fine covering of sand on the lowest LR, it seems to get kicked up sporadically and deposit itself onto those rocks. I thought the sand might settle down, bind together a bit, I've tried adjusting the directions of the pumps, the speed of the vortech, but nothing seems to make any difference. I've tried blowing it off with a baster, but it just comes back. I think basically its just too fine, so I'm thinking about adding another layer of more coarse substrate (Nature's Ocean crushed coral aragonite sand with grain size of 1.7-2.5mm??) on top of the current sand to prevent this from happening but;

• How do I add the substrate without making a complete mess in the tank (use tubing or something to funnel it down?)
  • Am I likely to kick off another cycle?
  • Will I get another algae bloom (with the addition of more silicates)?
  • Should I wait longer?

So before I do anything I would like some help/advice, many thanks

Nowellsy SNR

I've added sand in the past all i did was rinse it a few times then add as gently as you can you will get some dust in the tank but not for long, never stated a mini cycle of in my tank and had no issues with any algae

Bobi1956

Tell you how I did it once to my old 120 and it worked great. Rinse your sand as mentioned above. I took a large funnel and a peice of 3/4 inch i.d hose and connected it to the bottom of the funnel. I placed the funnel above the tank water level, hand fed sand into the funnel and let it travel the hose to the bottom where I wanted it. I was going through my old "stuff" the other day and found this DIY contraption LOL

imaccat

Tell you how I did it once to my old 120 and it worked great. Rinse your sand as mentioned above. I took a large funnel and a peice of 3/4 inch i.d hose and connected it to the bottom of the funnel. I placed the funnel above the tank water level, hand fed sand into the funnel and let it travel the hose to the bottom where I wanted it. I was going through my old "stuff" the other day and found this DIY contraption LOL

Hi Bob,

Thanks, that's how I thought about doing it, glad to hear that it works.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I've rinsed, then used a large cup very slowly lowered into the tank, and then "poured" onto the bottom. Lots of ways to do it.

imaccat

Thanks guys.

I'm now just trying to find the right grain size, I don't want it too big, I believe it can could cause problems with detritus dropping through the gaps and obviously not too small as I will be back to where I started