Adding used live sand to display tank

Varga

I'm getting a very good deal on some sand that just came out of someones tank. Its in a 5 gallon bucket sitting for a week but now my buddy's telling me live sand should never be re-used?

should I rinse? should I just dump it on top of my existing tank?

ir it just too risky? I dont really need it I just cant pass on the deal. There are areas that are thin in the tank but I dont want to screw things up

I would not recommend using that sand unless you have rinsed it out well, too much of a risk of it being bad.
Take one of the buckets and dump out half of it into another bucket and take a big wiff of the sand, if it smells bad then it more than likely is.

Varga

OK so rinse the heck out of it.

any harm in dumping it on top of my existing sand?

BuDZnSuDS

If it was sitting for about a week due to moisture theres prolly some unwanted bacteria buildup somehwere in the bucket try to sift it if at all possible even if you do it little by little in a fisher price beach toy sifter lol.

Jeremy0322

I have heard that you can rinse it really good and then bake it in the over, then rinse it again, then bake, then rinse but i dont really know the reasoning behind that or if its true, its just something i saw on the net. I was contemplating using old sand when i set my tank up but i figured if i was going to spend all that money on everything else i may as well spend an extra 50 and get some new sand.

Stacef

I have also heard the same as Jeremy, rinse, bake, rinse, bake etc.

Bake on a cookie sheet, flattened out.

But--I haven't done this myself, just read about it online..

Jeremy0322

I tried it with one small batch just to test the process when i bought my tank and it didnt really seem worth it. It has to be a really thin layer to bake all the way through, and it made the entire house smell like a toxic waste dump.

Stacef

I hear ya Jeremy, it probably would stink!

I would take Limpits advice, dip into it, if it stinks...don't use it.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I don't want to be at Varga's place when he bakes that sand! P'ewe! The baking is to drive off the organic matter and open up the pores of the sand grains.

I don't think it's going to hurt to rinse it in saltwater and add it to your tank slowly, over a few days or weeks, depending on how much you're adding.

Roks-Sharky

I say NO, don't use it. Why? Because I have about 25lbs pounds of coral rubble/sand mix I removed from my tank in my basement. Why did I remove it? I felt it was harboring nasty stuff, like cyanbacteria and red slime and or/anaerobic bacteria.

Why is this person getting rid of it unless there is a problem like that?

if you bake it it's no longer "live sand" and even less of a deal . . . .

Jeremy0322

Aragonite sand isnt "live" when you get it, but if its mixed with sand thats already live it will just seed the new stuff and in a short time it will all be alive. Thats your call Varga, but i say buy a new bag, JUST in case...haha

yungreefer2410

i don't think he would buy crushed coral. its really up to you. you could run the bucket like a tank for a few weeks and test the water. or if you have something like a 10g tank hanging around fill with water from your tank add that sand and a cheap filter and extra ph and test daily to know if it will be safe