Adding Live rock to First tank Setup/cycle

Dragon Wrasse

While Ive got you and im getting such great advice Id like to ask you how to go about starting the siphone(SP) in the overflow box. Im alittle nervious. Ive read a few things but still dont quite understand how im going to start it it has a u shaped tube connecting the inside box to the outside box. someone said to just put a tude up in the u tude and suck out the air untill the water overflows into the outer box..

That's the best way to do it, you may need to adjust the air line as the air pocket gets smaller, but it works great, the rubber air line works better than the plastic stuff.....the plastic stuff can be pretty stiff.......:thumbup:

Dragon Wrasse

I'd try to avoid running the lights for any length of time at first until you get through your cycle... A few hours a day so you can see what is going on will not hurt, this will help reduce the possibility of a major algae outbreak. You probably will get some algae and/or bacteria (cyno) which is normal in a new tank. Have fun....

Agreed no lights for the first couple of weeks or more......

Dragon Wrasse

Scrub your rock with a stiff nylon brush and fresh water, use plastic tube or 5 gal. bucket and give your rock a 5 minute fresh water dip, this will get rid of any live nasties hiding in the crackes and creaveses.......stack your rock, keep the lights off for a couple weeks while you monitor the cycle....presto, your ready to start spending money....P.S. BTW, scrubing the rock, removes dead or dieing material and frees up space for coraline algea to grow, keeping the lights off will help promote the growth of this benifical algea. good luck and have fun......

sam wise

have a look at my experience on reefwise.co.uk hope it will be some help, just be patient it will be worth the wait and effort

I got my live rock today. Their is some one larger white spot on one of the rocks but it almost looks like a brain coral of some sort. Their is also a white branch lookinf thing. should i scrape this stuff off or could it be good free bees. Please chime in as im adding the live rock tonight... Cant wait... First cycle here we come!!!

lcstorc

Can you post pics? It's really hard to say from that description. If you can't post pics, give us some more details.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I wonder if it's "cloud/milk" sponge. I got a rock last week that had this on it. I turned it to the back of the tank (just because the rock FIT better that way) but it looks kinda cool.

Allen

Warnberg

Most all sponges exposed to air for any length of time will die or are already dead, that is why most folks scrub their rock (clean it) before they place it in the tank. However never fear, even after you scrub they always seem to find a way to come back.

i will clean it and rub of any thing that comes of easy but thats it if it lives it lives i guess... Im just excited to get the rock in and the cycle started. Should i test the water tonight or wait two to three days before i test the levels.

Warnberg

I would just check salinity to make sure you are close (1.025), other than that have fun.... Make sure you get your rock set in there so that it will not fall, a falling rock could and usually does scratch glass...

Rhyne

I'm still a newbie compared to these other folks, but I like to keep close track of tank chemistry, so I start testing no more than 2 days after I start the cycle. I test every other day during the cycle, that way I am keeping a good eye on the progress of the cycle and I'll notice any major changes pretty quickly.

I figure the cost of the test kits are cheap compared to the cost of destroying livestock because we missed something in the chemistry. I'm curious to see wht the more experienced reefers say....

lcstorc

I would just check salinity to make sure you are close (1.025), other than that have fun.... Make sure you get your rock set in there so that it will not fall, a falling rock could and usually does scratch glass...

It can not only scratch the glass but a rockslide can catch your fish unaware and crush them. I lost a Chevron Tang that way. Trust me I learned my lesson. Unfortunately too late for the poor Chevron.

I would start testing tomorrow and test every day or every other day after that. You certainly could wait a week or so, but I am always too curious to wait. Plus it gives you a chance to become familiar with the tests.