Adding another black perc

Shagon

I have one black perc in my 55gal. I would say that it is about 1.5" long. I have another black perc at the office in our 20 long. It is about 1" long. We are going to break down the office tank and would like to bring that clown home and see if I can get a mated pair. I am worried about them fighting.

Do ya think it's a good idea?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I would think you could do this... I have read several post of members that had one clown & added another one latter, they may seem to fight a bit to decide who going be the girl & who going to be the boy, but that would be normal

Reddog170

The only thing I would worry about is if they have both reached sexual maturity and are both female. In that case they would do nothing but fight. This is only 1 possibility. If they are both juvenile then you will just get a little dominance pushing and shoving. Shaun

89Foxbody

Agreed with the others. It's good to get them differently sized as well as that will allow them to establish more easily.

Shagon

Well I brought the small one home from the office. Once acclimated, I put him in a hamster ball and let it set in the tank for about an hour. The 2 clowns just swam around with each other. One on the inside one on the outside. So after the hour I let him go. The picked on each other, did the nipping and then they just kinda hung out.

Then my cinnamon clown got involved. He start charging out of his nem and hitting the new clown. That happened about 3 time. That was until my resident black perc got involved. The fourth time the cinnamon clown came out, she attacked it. She hit him hard and that was that. He swam back to his nem and never bothered the new black perc again. I think we might have a couple.