Activated Carbon

AJinNY

Following the fungus cure, which turned the water green, I did a partial water change and put the activated carbon into the filter after treatment was complete.

How long does it take for the carbon to absorb the chemicals and for the water to be clear again...approximately?

thanks.

AJinNY

this is my smaller tank...10 gallons and Id say about 1/4 cup carbon....should I put more carbon in? or do I have have to wait and give it time?

I mean the color all does come out, right? It doesnt stain the acrylic front, right? Maybe a stupid question, but I wanted to ask.

Unless I have to do more water changes over the next couple of days.

PEMfish

I would replace the carbon every week for 2 weeks. And do More than normal W/Cs. 3 25% in two weeks +/-. After those two weeks Resume normal activity.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
pure malachite green will stain acrylic, most fish meds are are not pure, the carbon should be fine and water changes every other day would be very good on a 10 gal, how often do you usually change water and how much?

AJinNY

pure malachite green will stain acrylic, most fish meds are are not pure, the carbon should be fine and water changes every other day would be very good on a 10 gal, how often do you usually change water and how much?

wait - so youre saying my tank is now stained and the even when the carbon takes the green out of the water, my tank will still look green???

CATALYST

I have a qt tank that the silicone is still green. The tank is glass though. I don't know what will happen to the acrylic.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
pure malachite green will stain acrylic, most fish meds are not pure the carbon should be fine and water changes every other day would be very good on a 10 gal, how often do you usually change water and how much?

methelene blue is awful on silicon, stays there forever

AJinNY

I did another water change...the water I took out still had a hint of green but not nearly as much as before.

The acrylic doesnt appear stained to me.

Yet when I replaced the water and turned the light on, there was a greater hue of green than I would have expected.

At the bottom of the tank I noticed a lot of the originally white gravel had turned somewhat greenish since medicating the tank.

Could the green I be seeing mostly be a reflection of the light on the green covered gravel?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
i think the stain is uptake from the slime and algae, it will pass, did the treatment work by the way?

AJinNY

did the treatment work by the way?

I used that fungus cure which turned the water emerald green.

did it work? yes and no.

one fish didnt make it...I think it was too late byt he time I started treatment.

All the other fish are still alive and a lot of the fuzzies are gone from the fish. All are swimming and all are eating like pigs which I take to be a good sign.

Two of the fish, one more than the other, still has some markings on it....one fish towards the back half of its body and the other towards the front and top. Im not sure what it is - Im prettysure its not ich.

Could it be a bacterial thing of some sort that the fungus cure didnt take care of? I tried searching for photos online but nothing fits the description.

If it IS bacterial, can I treat right away, or do I have to give the tank a "break"?

But the fungus cure DID help...Im sure of that.

Thanks!!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
PICTURES!!! maybe an idea will come of it, this could come back if not diagnosed, do you have a quarantine tank available?

AJinNY

these are the best photos I could find....look at the top part of the fish...not sure you can figure out whats wrong with this fish.

HELP!!!

Attachments

• 110-1044_IMG.JPG
    110-1044_IMG.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 110-1047_IMG.JPG
    110-1047_IMG.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 29

AJinNY

so then it is bacterial and I should get some meds for it, huh?

its beena couple of days since i have begun mig water changes since treating for fungus...is it ok to begin bacterial treatment this soon?

thanks.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
how did you use the carbon? if used correctly then yes go ahead but dont run the carbon while treating, you should really get a qt tank makes it a lot simpler to treat without disturbing or destroying your bio filter

AJinNY

the carbon was put in with the filter media to absorb the funus medicine.
but the water is still somewhat green which you said is probably the algae being "stained" by the meds.

I can take out the carbon and introuduce the new meds but who knows now what the water color will be. :(

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
all part of natures design, another real good reason for a QT, keeps the display from being a tie dyed t shirt, if your starting a new round of meds, pull the carbon out and do a water change, then medicate to the instructions, good luck with this its all kind of vague as to if it will or won't work

panmanmatt

Do not use antibacterial meds ( antibiotics) in your display tank. They will kill off your bio-filter and lead to water quality issues. Your bio-filter is made up of bacteria, the meds kill bacteria.

All medicating should be done in a separate hospital tank.