Acrylic vs. Glass

• Acrylic

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Glass

Votes: 74 78.7%

• Total voters

mps9506

I don't think lumenarcs will fit.
You can probably fit the pfo parallel reflectors in there however. I'll have to go to the storage place to measure how high it is though. But the light spread is excellent.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Thanks. I know the reflectors are a VERY important factor when setting up retro lighting! I am used to plug-n-play so this is all new to me...

I'll note that PFO parallel reflectors are good :)

Yarr

I voted glass becuas that is what i have and know. to me it is a more tried adn tested option. but having no expereince in acrylic i cant say yay or nay objectively

mps9506

Doni,
You may also want to call around to some cabinet builders in the area to price how much they would charge to build a custom stand and canopy.
One of our local reef club members had a stand and canopy built for a custom acrylic tank 64"x24". I think he paid about $800 for totally custom stand and canopy and it looked much nicer than any oceanic or aga stand ever made. Plus it matched his wood floors and dining room set.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Great idea Mike and there is one such LFS that does custom stands/canopies (great work and prices). My only concern is that the tank's warranty is VOID if used without the manufactured stand :(

mps9506

Woodstock said:
Great idea Mike and there is one such LFS that does custom stands/canopies (great work and prices). My only concern is that the tank's warranty is VOID if used without the manufactured stand :(
Another argument for acrylic :)
Oceanic will give you a warranty, however you need to contact them before using it.

HowardW

I like both glass and acrylic tanks, but would choose acrylic on a tank 150g. or larger just for the huge difference in weight and the fact I'm paranoid my tank will go crashing right through the floor, LOLOL. I remember that I could lift my 55g acrylic tank and carry it around with two fingers.

I also think there's a lot of myths about acrylic tanks such as yellowing, very easily scratched, crazing, bowing, melting, etc. I had a 55g and a 125g acrylic tank both for over 10 yrs. and neither one bowed, crazed, yellowed, melted, or anything else, in fact they both looked nearly like new when I recently sold them. As far as scratches go, they don't scratch unless YOU scratch them, you just have to be careful not to smash rocks into the sides and not get substrate between the acrylic and cleaning pad when cleaning algae.

TravisBTravis

In the past i had acrylic, now i have glass because i wanted an open top and i dont think acrylics have open top like glass.

Acrylic as has been stated scratches easier but it is better. It is clearer and reflects less than glasss(which to me is not to nice to look at), also it is very durable umm and easier to drill.

Guess it really depends on how much $$$ you want to spend:angel3:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Starphire glass is as clear as acrylic. You can have an open top with acrylic. And its easier and cheeper to do also then the glass tank. I just like the glass look better. But it all comes down to preference in the end. There both good.

corallimorph

Has been struck by the ban stick
GLASS ALL THE WAY!...good luck acrylic folks ...see you in a year or two with a nice scratched up tank!...oh yeh you can always buff it ...LOL.....THATS NOT TOO MUCH WORK!......LOL!-Corallimoph:shades:

Warnberg

gimmie an A
gimmie a c
gimmie a r
gimmie a y
gimmie a l
gimmie a i
gimmie a c

Attachments

• full tank shot (Medium).jpg
    full tank shot (Medium).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 37

Dragon Wrasse

I've got both....Starphire glass and Acrylic both are great.....I've got both types of refugiums also...glass and acrylic.....I also have both tanks on wheels, the glass tank does take six casters verses the Acrylic only needing four........

pmac90

I voted acrylic. I just plain out think they are more beautiful. also, in my readings and learnings (knew some things). With the recent history on threads about silly-cone not sealing and glass cracking, that scares the cr@p out of me. acrylic "glue" actually melts the acrylic together, therefore not having any seams to leak or give. also, i have a glass tank with scratches, folks act like that never happens with glass... you can buff an acrylic scratch out... you can NOT on glass. like others have said, you make the scratches... and don't get caught up in the myths. also, glass is almost green to look through, i think acrylic is mostly clear. And acrylic can be drilled easier.