Acropora and keeping color ???s

Triggerjay

Browning out can be caused by several factors. The first being lighting. The 10k bulbs that you run, more than likely have more PAR than the 400w 20k's they were under. This will cause the zooanthanalgae (sp) to multiply to sheild the tissue from the intense light. The balance between the flouresing algae's and zooanth, are changed. the zooanth is a brown algae, and when the density increases, you get the brown color. when the balance is in check, you will get nice colors. Over time sometimes, the coral will acclimate itself to the change in lighting and re-balance its internal algaes. Another reason for a brownout situation, is a nutrient rich tank. Phosphates/nitrates can cause this as well. (which is the problem I am currently fighting). My lights are only 175's, and 14k bulbs... my nutrient levels are undetectable with the hobby test kits, but I know from the algae growth I have had recently, that they are there. I don't remember the names of them, but there are scientific meters that can measure nutrients in our tanks very well. (something I will be looking into in the very near future). Thats all I have to offer! I know its an old thread, but I thought I would share my opinion. Thanks

Jason

Frankie

RS STAFF
Vicki, did you ever get the Radium's? The pictures of your tank are much bluer in your thread and was wondering about what you ended up going with.