Acclimating tank from T5's to MH

Jukas

What's the best way to acclimate fish and corals when switching from T5's to Metal Hallide fixtures?

I'm afraid if I just slap the Mh's on the tank it'll severely bleach or kill my rics, zoas and other soft corals.

SeaLover

Jukas I know what you mean. I am going from power compacts to halides on Fri. There is a way to do it though. With garden netting over your light. many layers of it. Peel 1 layer off at the end of every week. about 2 months worth of netting over it

BigJay

sea lovers rec is right on from what I know as well. Just want to correct one thing. Put it over the tank not over the light and allow enough distance from the fixture as not to melt it or start a fire.

SeaLover

Good call Jay. I would have caught my house on fire! lol I am doing this on friday and thought the netting went over the light not over the tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I like to use "Window Screen" mainly because it's cheap, comes in small rolls and the company I work for sells it LOL!

You'll want to add as many layers as needed to "approximate" amount of light stroking your corals (fish don't know the difference) now (old light) and weekly remove one layer. Next thing you know you're BRIGHT as can be and your coral's bleaching is eliminated or at least minimized. When in doubt go slower.

BobBursek

Safe some money, just run the MH less time, and alge will be less too and increase it over a month, maybe 15-30 minutes a day increase, also watch water temp increase with the MH.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Bob that's a very common approach but some of us (speaking from experience here) still got some bleaching using this method. The problem is that the light that is contacting the coral is so intense (even though it's for a shorter period of time) that some corals still have a "Knee-Jerk" reaction and will bleach severely. I lost some very nice Zoas doing this method as well as a very sweet Ric-Rock. IMHO light intensity reduction is easier on the coral rather than reducing the photo-period. Light-shock is hard on the coral and more often than not once they expel their zooanthellae they don't recover.

With all due respect this is just what's worked better for my tanks in the past.

Allen :)

BobBursek

Always willing to learn, your right your way sounds better!!! My mentor travels allot on business, bought a digital timer for the lights before he left, and Elect engineer with a computer science minor, never thinks he has to read instructions, screwed up his first set of Votech PH's, but anyway, he set up his reef in the basement from the living room, I was finishing the recroom, he is out of town and monitoring the tank, temps are rising each day, hooked up his chiller, to get them in line, I was ther from Wed till friday, he got back on Sunday, temps were fine but lights on 24, bleached them all the last 2 days, he did not set a time off on the timer, MH on 24 a day.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Oh sorry. It was being silly. You were talking about the MH's on for 24hrs and I was making fun of something burning up. My bad :) Imagine it's a coral being burned from 24hrs of MH light :)

Man it was a LOT funnier in my head :D

BobBursek

Al,
that is what happened, I was there 9-5 wed-friday, saw the temp up but did not know his MH light schedule, on when I got there and on when I left but I know he runs them for 12hrs a day, but on for 24, then not there on Sat and Sunday they wiped out those 2 days and he got back late Sunday night. Like I said he never reads the instructions!!!!!! I have the same digital timer runing my dozing Kalk pump, it took me a few times to get it right, do you think they can print it any smaller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BobBursek

Al.
I mean the instructions. shoot, any smaller and need to get a fishing fly mag glass to read them or tie the knot!!!!!!

BigJay

my analogy is this as far as shorter light cycles for acclimation. Take a guy that lives in say minnesota and put him on a beach in south Florida. See how fast he roasts. Shorter periods of the sun don't equate to not getting burnt unless the shorter periods are of just a few minutes. After 2 to 3 weeks of applying sun screen everyday the Minnesota fellow has a nice tan and could get away with probably all day of florida sun with no burn.
Or like Al said shorter times do not equate to less intensity maybe less severe burn but still burned.