a question.......automatic refilling

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I've manually topped off since I set up my RSM 250.
I've always been a little afraid of ATO failures & that there's a chance that they could mess up & lower salinity too much. I don't like taking chances.
I think I'm closer to ready to add one now. Because Thinking about it, I could just put about a gallon RO-Di reservoir maybe? Until I'm more at ease that it will work right? Anyone else had fears about ATO's?
And it's something else to plug in and gezzz, I really hate that part.
Didn't mean to hi-jack this thread but y'all got me thinking about this again. :duh:

jaws789832

I've always been a little afraid of ATO failures & that there's a chance that they could mess up & lower salinity too much. I don't like taking chances.
I think I'm closer to ready to add one now. Because Thinking about it, I could just put about a gallon RO-Di reservoir maybe? Until I'm more at ease that it will work right? Anyone else had fears about ATO's?
Didn't mean to hi-jack this thread but y'all got me thinking about this again. :duh:
I have that fear. About 8 months ago I bought the IM hydrofill. About 5 month later I am sitthing there and hear the pump go on, after about 10 minutes of it running I get to thinking seems like its taking a long tome to fill so I get up and check. The sensors for some reason quit working and it was overfilling my tank. Fortunatly I was sitting right there and no harm was done. After contacting support they said just clean the sensors real good and try again. The sensors weren't dirty in the first place but I would never trust it again to even try.

Pat24601

The tunze I cited has two sensors as a safety protection against overflow so it adds a pretty strong layer of protection (I think), but yes it is a legitimate concern.

Overall, I do think the ATO is great not only at reducing time for me, but at keeping the water level stable (better for salinity and skimmer) than I would do by hand.

That said, I totally see not trusting one. It's a legitimate fear. A one gallon container would help with that fear, I guess, but it would mean you are filling it every day which kind of defeats the point of the ATO.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks Jaws & Pat for both of your replies!!
I usually add 1/2 a gallon daily as top off....first, I make sure that the skimmer isn't completely full (it's normally NOT) before I add RO-Di water. I add directly to the sump so at least I feel like it's getting mixed in a little more slowly than just dumping it into the DT. Being used to doing this daily, I don't think it would be a hassle to refill the reservoir real often in the beginning of my ATO use.
It's another gadget & I think I'm reasoning with myself on adding one :ponder2:
So how many more electical outlets does an ATO require & are they REALLY easy to install? I am NOT an installer and the man who lives here can install stuff on classic cars & bass boats but he will not touch my fish tank to help me :deadhorse:.....I know :pityparty:. Thanks guys!!

Pat24601

Yes, just one plug. Super easy to install. Basically like installing a wavemaker. Magnets on each side and you attach to back of tank in sump area. I put mine by the heater. Then just clip on the filler hose onto your sumo area and drop the pump in a jug of water and that's about it. I was very intimidated to do any installs when I got my ATO because I didnt even really understand my aquarium at the time and it was no problem.

All that said, if you like what you are currently doing, nothing wrong with sticking with it!

Danreef

About the overflow issue.

I gave it a lot of thought and tested 2 ATOs:
A) Nano Tunze
B) The JBJ

ATO (A) come with its own pump. ATO (B) you can plug the pump of your choise. Both ATOs have a security system. If after XX minutes the pump is still ON, the system stop.

In the case of ATO (A) the combination of pump + time implies that after the system stop, you already have 1,6 G of RODI water in your tank. It failed twice In my tanks.

In the case of ATO (B) it will pump water for a max of 4 minutes before it stops. That is the protection to overflow. Depending on your tank water volume, you select the pump power. THAT IS THE TRICK in this ATO brand. In my case (RSM 250) I have plugged to the JBJ ATO 2 Aqualifter Pumps. They pump 50 ml each / minute (total 100 ml/minute). If the sensors fail, the pumps will stay ON for ~4 minutes. That is ~ 400 ml. That volume of RODI water poured in 70 G of Salt Water will not change the salinity.

Moreover, the JBJ ATO has 2 sensors. I have them glued together with a difference of 0.5 inches. One is higher that the other. That is one out of 3 different sensors setup. In that setup, my tank water level, in the sump section of the RSM 250 fluctuates just one level. The RSM owners will understand this last part.

I never had an overflow issue with the JBJ ATO.

I have one in the 14 G and 1 in the RSM 250. The 14 G JBJ has only 1 pump connected.

This is my experience! !!!!!

Before buying one, look " the amount of time it will take the system to stop the pump if the sensors failed" and "how much water the pump will pump in that period of time, if the pump is part of the ATO". " If you select your pump then chose the one that will not overflow your system".

The JBJ case, if the pumps were not able to pour the amount needed, it will stop and you have to unplug and plug it again to reset it. A couple of times I arrived home and found it in that situation. If you find that the pump you selected, Frequently , is not able to pour the amount needed of water in 4 minutes, then you open the JBJ and change the security system electronic timer up to 45' minutes. So you can play with time and pump to avoid overflow.

This was a lot of writing in the phone :)

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:

Chuck Dortenzio

About the overflow issue.

I gave it a lot of thought and tested 2 ATOs:
A) Nano Tunze
B) The JBJ

ATO (A) come with its own pump. ATO (B) you can plug the pump of your choise. Both ATOs have a security system. If after XX minutes the pump is still ON, the system stop.

In the case of ATO (A) the combination of pump + time implies that after the system stop, you already have 1,6 G of RODI water in your tank. It failed twice In my tanks.

In the case of ATO (B) it will pump water for a max of 4 minutes before it stops. That is the protection to overflow. Depending on your tank water volume, you select the pump power. THAT IS THE TRICK in this ATO brand. In my case (RSM 250) I have plugged to the JBJ ATO 2 Aqualifter Pumps. They pump 50 ml each / minute (total 100 ml/minute). If the sensors fail, the pumps will stay ON for ~4 minutes. That is ~ 400 ml. That volume of RODI water poured in 70 G of Salt Water will not change the salinity.

Moreover, the JBJ ATO has 2 sensors. I have them glued together with a difference of 0.5 inches. One is higher that the other. That is one out of 3 different sensors setup. In that setup, my tank water level, in the sump section of the RSM 250 fluctuates just one level. The RSM owners will understand this last part.

I never had an overflow issue with the JBJ ATO.

I have one in the 14 G and 1 in the RSM 250. The 14 G JBJ has only 1 pump connected.

This is my experience! !!!!!

Before buying one, look " the amount of time it will take the system to stop the pump if the sensors failed" and "how much water the pump will pump in that period of time, if the pump is part of the ATO". " If you select your pump then chose the one that will not overflow your system".

The JBJ case, if the pumps were not able to pour the amount needed, it will stop and you have to unplug and plug it again to reset it. A couple of times I arrived home and found it in that situation. If you find that the pump you selected, Frequently , is not able to pour the amount needed of water in 4 minutes, then you open the JBJ and change the security system electronic timer up to 45' minutes. So you can play with time and pump to avoid overflow.

This was a lot of writing in the phone :)

Cheers
Daniel

Phone or not, thanks for taking the time!

Pat24601

These pictures suck and my sump is past due for cleaning, but the top picture is where I put my water level measure. The magnet is on the back of the tank. That's the circle with the number 1 pointing to it. The circle with the number 2 pointing to it is where I out the refill hose. You can really put them wherever you want, but just to give you an example.

The blue stripes aren't really there. I just didn't turn my LEDs off when I took the pic.

The second picture is my refill jug. Nothing special. It's just the 5 gallon jug my LFS sells for water changes. Food grade plastic (I presume). You can really use anything you want as well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

BTW, the white powder over the unit and the heater is dosing powder I dumped on it and didn't clean it off. I'll get to it. :)

Last edited: