A Poorman's Pico: PGHfishnerd's 2 gal

Hello friends! Long time, no see! I've been out of the hobby for I'd say... 3 years now. I'd been waiting til I had the time and money to restart one of my tanks (I had a 30 gallon reef and a 37 gallon seahorse tank) but I just can't stay away from the hobby any longer. Due to a lack of funds, I've decided to sell off the old tanks and start kludging together a little baby 2 gallon pico reef! I'm using almost exclusively materials that I already had from my other tanks. So here's what I'm working with:
image_zps5b5b0c97.jpg

- The tank itself is a 2 gallon betta tank that I took the rim, built in light, and base off of.
- The lighting is a 10 watt 10,000k NOVA Extreme T5 fixture. It's 20 inches long so I blacked out all but the middle 8 inches with electrical tape. Kludge-tastic, eh? The first money I actually spent on this tank was yesterday when I bought an additional 10 watt Coralife 50/50 screw-in bulb. I will have to get my old desk lamp from my parents' house to set that up, so it won't be shown in any of my pictures yet.
- The filter is a little HOB rated for 5-15 gal tanks. It's currently running without any media for the cycle. I'll be putting chemi-pure and Chaeto in the back chamber.
- The heater is nothing special. It's kind of an eye sore because it doesn't fit in the HOB/Mini fuge, but I tested the handful of heaters that I'd had laying around and this one was the most consistent.
- The ATO is still under construction. I'm working on an inverted Gatorade bottle with an airline tube siliconed into the lid.
(I'm planning on putting a shelf a few inches above the tank and mounting the lights underneath it, and keeping my auto top off reservoir on top of it... So please ignore the box that's currently propping my light fixture up)

My plan for livestock is as follows:
Inverts
-2 blue leg hermits
-2 sexy shrimp
- 3-5 Snails (any suggestions as to which type?)

Corals
- Zoanthids
- Mushrooms
- Assorted octocorals/Xenia/GSP

The tank is currently in the early stages of cycling (ammonia is at .75), so in the meantime, please entertain me with questions/suggestions/criticisms. Thanks for following along!

JoeCanada11

As someone who has kept fish many years. I know how hard it can be to not have a tank running. Good build so far. For octocorals I see there are some beautifully coloured cloves.

I made some progress on the tank setup. I know it's been a long time, but I've hit a few roadblocks, including a job change and illness. Nonetheless, this is what I've come up with. I mounted the shelf above my tank last night. There's nothing too exciting about it except its got the light mounted underneath, and I also drilled a hole through it for my ATO reservoir. The ATO itself has been a real pain. The inverted Gatorade bottle with air line tubing siliconed in is just not working. Has anyone had success with a design like that? ... Or with the rabbit water feeder bottle design? I really want a gravity operated ATO-- no pumps. It's just that I can see why they aren't very popular. I'd appreciate any advice you guys may have.
image_zps8252859a.jpg

Gavin1110

I have a 3 gal pico and to be honest you can get a screw in par 30 bulb for $60 and it will let you grow whatever you want in that tank. I have had the tank for over 2 years and my biggest problem is keeping constant temp. I also have been using too much chemical filtration and the corals are suffering from too clean of water. I would recommend large water changes weekly, and getting a par 30. Using tape around a fixture makes me nervous that you could start a fire. With the par30 you can mount a lightbulb bracket or use a desk lamp to hang it over but I would recommend raising it up at least 12". If I had to choose again I would purchase one of these 21W PAR30 LED 18k Vibrance Reef Light . The BOOST LED bulb I have is too blue for my GF and I's taste and this linked bulb has 4 different types of LED's and in my opinion will give better results because of the varied spectrum of light multiple LED's give. Good luck!

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
I'm a fan of re-building with as little extra stuff as possible too. Sometimes you end up find even better ways that you had before.