A new way to chronicle

In my best Rod Serling voice .....

I'd like to take you on a journey, a journey to a place we all know ... different shapes and sizes of tanks, but this one will be in a 58 gallon Oceanic ...

OK, so enough of that, <heh> I went out over the weekend and bought a wireless webcam. They still can't seem to get the quality to be the best in the world, but it will do in a pinch for the situation. :)

Anyway, instead of me giving you the entire run down in words, I thought, I'd bring you all along on my journey so you can watch the reef grow as time goes on. I'll fill in from time to time on water parms and what I add to the tank, but this way, you can watch too. I hope you all enjoy!

To check it out, please go to this website:

http://90.0.0.126/CgiStart?page=Single&Language=0

I have created a typical userid and password that everyone can use

userid: rsreefers
password: reeffun

everything is lower case. This is all still in a "beta-stage" so please bear with me when you see a grey image or if the camera is offline ... probably means I'm either cleaning the tank and don't want you all to have to see my big ol' butt with plumbers crack when I bend over to clean the sump ... :bouncer:

OR

I'm fiddling with some settings, etc.

Enjoy and thanks for coming along on the ride. Let me know if there are any issues.

Yeah, sorry all. Apparently, there is an issue, I'm working it out now and will post again when all is well with the world. Stupid technology! lol

Frankie

RS STAFF
I know MIRC has a good cam program. It's been a long time since i have done it but i use to have my clown tank on cam for a member that use to come here. She would watch it all day waiting for the clowns to spawn.

OK, let's try this again, I've chatted with Robert and have the internet addy now instead of the local :::DUH! I coulda had a V8::: anyway, let's try this one:

http://lovemyreef.viewnetcam.com:50000

userid: rsreefers
password: reeffun

If this doesn't work, for whatever reason, please let me know the errors you are getting and I'm going to call tech support. It can't be rocket science to set one of these bad boys up ... then again, it's appearing, I need that degree afterall. LOL

Anselth

Works for me. Just make sure you click on "single" up top to get the cam view. Looking good!

What's the lowdown on this tank, anyway? Looks like a jawfish and a wrasse? Couple others too.

Thanks all!

Adam, YEs, sorry, "single view" to view the actual camera. This tank is a 58 gallon Oceanic, that I used to have in office as a freshwater tank. Bought the overflow and had sump made, etc etc and turned it into salty tank. YES, there is a blue spotted jawfish, a filimented flash wrasse, a lubbock wrasse, a pair of ocellaris clowns, royal gramma, and gold headed sleeper goby

... luckily most of my live rock was already cured and ready to go with some nice coraline on it (I did add some dry rock from marcorocks.com). I had to move a little quicker than I would like with this tank due to the problem I had with bristleworms in my 29 biocube. I had a 2 foot long bristleworm that I know was the demise of my orange spot goby "Sifty", so it got torn down and I had to move the inhabitants to this tank until I see if the other is going to have a cycle (so far so good, since I was able to use tons of rock from my sump that had been curing for some time. The plan is to hopefully move the anenome (who's hiding behind the LR) and the clowns, along with their buddy the royal gramma back into the 29 gallon.

Bill -

The neon orange thing is a fungia (plate coral) saw it at my LFS and HAD to have it. I posted a couple photos over in another thread, if you want to see it up close and personal:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/aquarium-photography-forum/32605-58-gallons-o-goodies.html

Glad to hear it's working. WHEW!!! Talk about a pain in the buttocks, but good to know it's working well. If you happen to stop by sometime and the screen is grey, never fear, probably doing some tank maintenance and just have it on standby/privacy mode until I'm done. :) Thanks again for stopping by and checking it out.

Terry, it's about 100lbs of LR in the main tank, I've got about 10lbs of rubble/nano sized LR down in the sump. I'm going to work towards it being mostly an SPS, Ric, and zooanthid tank ... thanks for the compliment

Frankie

RS STAFF
Looks good Lynnette! I got it on right now. Whats your photo period? My tank has been off for 3 hours now.

Thanks Frankie and DA.

Frankie, my photo period is actually a little later than most, because the tank is in the living room and I am in the office most of the day, my actinics don't come on until noon, then the white lights at 1 PM, then the white lights off at 10 PM and the actinics off at 11 PM (these are all Central Times). This is so when I get off work, and can actually come out of my office and enjoy the tank, I still have some time to actually watch what all is going on.

DA, you did see a goby, a gold headed sleeper goby to be exact and there are 2 skunk cleaners in the tank. You probably did see antennae. :)

I may play with the camera some today around lunch hour and see if I can set it up a little closer to the tank and focus on a particular item, then give the pan and scan option, we'll see what the day brings. Just to ask, is there anything anyone would like to see a better shot of? Let me know, I'll be happy to move the cam a little closer with a static focus. :)

OK all, was able to catch a break while listening on a conference call. I've set the cam closer to the tank now and have the pan and scan feature set up, so now you have control of where you want to look in the tank and hopefully it will not be as digitized.

Also set up the cam where it's hours of operation are the hours the tank lights are on from noon CT to 11 PM CT. This way it gives me time to do any work on the tank if it needs to be done. I promise though, I will ensure feeding time happens during camera operation hours. :)

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has checked it out. I hope I can keep things up and running for some time to come.

P.S. If you happen to see reflection of an individual in the tank (ok, not actually in the tank, but the reflection <heh>)for a period of time today, my hubby and I are having a security system installed in the house. So I apologize for that plus any reflection you may see from the front door being open. Thanks again!

tbittner

When it's set to Favor Motion, it really looks great! It's more of a live feed then and I can see the fish actually swimming, instead of snapshots. Very cool!!!

I'll have to have a chat with you so you can help me set this up for my tanks too. :D

What internet service do you have? I'm wondering about the bandwidth requirements.