a good 29g fish

taindiyo

ok, I went a little over board budget wise on equipment and coral, so I can't do what I had wanted for my tank fish wise, but I was really hoping to have one or two fish. so the Q is what fish(or pair of fish) can I get that will fit in a 29, has good personality, but won't go crazy if I add a fish 4-6 months later?

chipmunkofdoom2

I think a pair of clowns would be nice. If that's to cliche or common, more personable fish like jawfish (especially the BSJF) would be cool. Dart fish can look pretty awesome.

I'm not sure you should add very many more fish than 2 or 3. Even most smaller fish get to about 3 or 4 inches, so in a 29, that's really all you'll be able to keep. You might be able to get the bioload under control, but with corals in the tank, I wouldn't risk it. Besides, with such a small tank, if you add your beginning fish, then add another, chances are there will be fighting because there's not a whole lot of tank real estate.

taindiyo

2-3 fish is all I can reasonably fit in there anyway....

I really like the jawfish but I don't have the right sand bed :tears: I am using crushed coral because it was sitting around the house and my dad wasn't using it(I'm not sure if he even know he had it before I asked to use it lol)

I was thinking about doing the paired clown fish thing but wasn't sure if that was what I really wanted so just asking to see other peoples ideas on other fish I've never had in the 100g(my dad's tank that I maintain for rent)

thanks for the help, I have lots of exp. maintaining a tank just not that much when it comes to planing one or picking fish.

Kingfish

In my 30 gal. I have a coral beauty, and I'm planning on putting a pair of black and white ocellarus clowns in there.

JNicho

We have a Diadema Psuedochromis and a Purple Psuedochromis in a couple of our nano's...pretty cheap and colorful fish and they stay out a fair bit...I like jawfish and gobies, but many I've had quite a few that stay hidden a lot...the Pygmy Angel is also very colorful and cheap, and have the added benefit of munching on algae.

newreefer22

In my 29 Gallon BioCube I have two clowns, a coral beauty and a firefish. Everyone is happy and seems to get along. Good Luck!

taindiyo

I think I'm going to go with a pair of clowns (now I just have to find out what kind lol), and i was looking around and saw a neon goby, my dad said they have a very short live span, but he didn't know how long do you guys have any idea?

You could have three maybe four small blue-green chromis. They school so they swim together all the time which looks pretty cool.

phishrule

I have 2 maroon clowns in my 29. It took them a day to "pair" and they are very close to each other all day. Great to watch.My tank is also new, I was told by a pro that i could have 2-3 more fish(not including; gobies,snails,ext.). they are more aggressive than pecula clowns

taindiyo

ok, I'm tried of the crushed coral, the look and not being able to keep some of the things I grow up with, so my next Q is what is a good size sand to get? or is there a really good brand I should look for? is there anything I should stay away from?

asked my dad but he has be using the same sand for about 20 years (cleaned every 3-4years, military moves really suck with a tank) and that was given to him so he has no clue...

Rhodes19

I have 2 occellaris, a blue fairy wrasse, and a royal gramma. The blue fairy wrasse has definitly grown and will be going into my 180 once its up and running.