A Different Kind of Reef

PootyTang

So I realize now that I've kind of been neglecting this thread. Since the last post, I've set up the 29, got some sand, water and rock in there and started the cycle (using a couple cubes of frozen brine shrimp).

I do have a couple questions:

1. I've been testing the water for Amm., Nitrites, Nitrates and pH every 5 or 6 days for almost a month now, and I didn't notice an ammonia or nitrite spike, but I'm starting to pick up nitrates for the first time now. Could this be because the spikes were low because I put rock in that was already cured? I'm getting quite the diatom bloom and I've noticed all the usual bugs crawling around on the glass, but I wanted to check to make sure I can trust the that tank has cycled before I do anything else.

2. I've noticed a couple things that I never noticed in the other 2 tanks I've cycled in the past. I've included pictures of both. One is a small starfish-like thing on the glass that looks like it could be a fungus (picture #1). The other is a strange greyish-blue patch on the sandbed. It looks like diatoms in all other respects, but the color is something I haven't seen before (picture #2).

I thought it would be worth asking about these things because I've heard in the past that using frozen shrimp can cause fungus to grow that's bad for the fish, but at least if someone can ID these, it'll put my mind at ease.

Thanks!

Picture #1
IMG_0004.jpg

Picture #2
IMG_0006.jpg

And here's a shot of the tank so far; more rock will come, followed by a resin-made reef if I can ever find one up here in the great white north.
Thanks!

PootyTang

Sorry, I just realized that the picture I posted of my mystery thing #1 was kinda fuzzy, here's a better picture:

MysteryThing.jpg

PootyTang

So those hydros are all over the glass now, are these anything I should concern myself with? And I'm still unsure about whether or not the cycle is done, I've never cycled using cured live rock already being in, but the presence of nitrates makes me think it's ready. I won't be going to get fish until around Easter for other reasons, so I figure by then it'll for sure be cycled, so I'm not going to worry about it.