80 Gallon Cube System

Haaileybop

Nice. The second picture is definitely better! The corals look very happy.

I have a 35g hex, too. Did you put in that overflow yourself? I like it.

They seem happy :)

As for my hex. I used a eshopps over flow. It worked fantastic except that the gurgling sound drove my husband nuts. LOL. I gave that tank and overflow to a friend who will soon be setting it up as his first saltwater tank.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

They seem happy :)

As for my hex. I used a eshopps over flow. It worked fantastic except that the gurgling sound drove my husband nuts. LOL. I gave that tank and overflow to a friend who will soon be setting it up as his first saltwater tank.

Oops, yeah, I should have looked at the title of the thread: 80 Gallon Cube. I just looked at your signature.

I drilled my 35g hex and used a glass-holes overflow box. It's working good, but lots of gurgling here too. I put some filter sponge material (very coarse) in the overflow box and that has quieted it a lot. Also keeps the snails out ... who caused many a flood.

Anyway, your tank looks great.

Haaileybop

:) thanks

Yeah I didnt have the guts to drill my 35g hex. I did have a sponge in my overflow, it helped a bit; but the gurgling still persisted! lol I guess somethings you cant win.

I am really digging my current setup with the overflow, it works great so far.

Haaileybop

Tank is looking great!! congrats on the weeding!!

Here is a picture of the new corals
3umery3e.jpg

9y5ypy3u.jpg

And of the wedding :)

y2e6upy4.jpg

duqysegu.jpg

And while I'm at it lol the new kitten

uvusane3.jpg

Hopefully the photos post OK this is my first time posting pictures from tapatalk!

Haaileybop

Thanks :). We are going on our honeymoon over Christmas and New Years. I can't wait!

On a separate but similar note, I am thinking on maybe making the move towards sps. You just cannot beat the magnificent colors. What parameters should I begin to start monitoring? Also what additional equipment do I need, if any? I have one unknown sps in my tank currently that is growing well, but I don't want to waste money just to see it die.

Haaileybop

I'm getting this beauty today from someone that doesn't want in his tank :) Its over 8 inches across!

ehe5u5uz.jpg

I'll post pics when its in my tank.

Haaileybop

Thanks! This is my first hammer, I have always wanted one. If you have any pointers let me know :p

Haaileybop

So good news is my family and I are safe from hurricane Sandy... bad news is we are going on 30 hours with no power. We have been mixing the water for oxygen every 30 minutes or so, but the tank is down to 69 and my apartment is getting colder. At what point should we consider the corals and fish goners. There are estimates we won't get power back until the weekend. :-(

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Glad to hear the family is safe ! Here hoping your tank survives... any chance you could hook up an inverter to the battery on your car & run an extension cord?

Haaileybop

Unfortunately living in Manhattan the car battery isn't an option. I am going to look online to see if I can find an auto store within walking distance tomorrow. I am most worried about my hippo tang, midus blenny, anemone, and of course coral. The tank is hovering around 68 degrees and we are mixing the water every 30 minutes or so to oxygenate the water. Can my tank really make it to the weekend like this? That is the estimated time for our power to come back.

Jetbkk

Oh man, that's everyone's biggest nightmare. You'd expect it to happen to me over here in a developing country and then Manhattan gets slammed.

Really hope the power is on soon. I heard from my NY office that most subways are running again and hopefully the power will be back soon. Good luck!!!!!

Haaileybop

Oh man, that's everyone's biggest nightmare. You'd expect it to happen to me over here in a developing country and then Manhattan gets slammed.

Really hope the power is on soon. I heard from my NY office that most subways are running again and hopefully the power will be back soon. Good luck!!!!!

Thanks Jet! Unfortunately the subways are only running north of 42nd street. Which doesn't really help me too much, but is a positive sign. On the bright note we have been able to stabilize our tank at 71 degrees by boiling water and floating it in containers and we got a thing to pump air into the tank from the LFS today. BTW they kindly sold that to us for $125... I havent lost any fish yet, I am hopeful that some corals may make it, and my neme is all shriveled up and hiding That has me worried, it would be sad to go through all this effort and loose it still to a tank crash from the neme's death. My friend has a 120g tank and he has lost all but 3 fish so far :( As for power coming back I dont know when that will happen there are estimate ranging from tonight to Sunday for my area.