75g Butterflyfish Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nascar99

2j1px94.jpg

Tank centered around butterflies, had a few corals, they loved eating brain coral but never touched my galaxies

:fish9:Inhabitants:
- Auriga butterfly
-Racoon butterfly
-Blue Striped Butterflyfish
- Red Firefish
- occy clownfish
- coral beauty angelfish
-half black angelfish
- skunk cleaner shrimp

More to be added in the future

My tank has been running over a year. My filtration is strictly biological. I have a sump with chaeto and more live rock, and I do 5 to 10% water changes weekly or bi weekly. I will admit I run a filter sock after cleaning the glass to catch debris

Last edited:

Nascar99

The way my live rock is it's almost like old dead acropora, and so the "branches" lock together so you can make cool shapes

It's surprisingly very secure. After I make a structure I always shake it to see if it falls apart, to make sure it's safe for my fish

Nascar99

I thought I'd post an acclimating tip bc I never see it online

Instead ofof acclimating in bag where ammonia can build after 30mins..

I test the bag water. Then take a 1/4 bucket of water and use rodi water to lower salinity to bag water

You now have clean ammonia free water that is the same (close) to the water it was shipped in

I add a few cups of this to the bag, fish is out of bag and plopped in the bucket in ten mins

Keep bucket dark and drip acclimate for an hour or two if needed

I've acclimated fish shipped at 1.016 like this :) also good for inverts I'd say

Nascar99

If the bag water is close you can either a) acclimate for 30 in bag or b) just plop him in but only if water is really close

P.s if you use the bucket method do not get any bag water in the clean bucket water. And float the bag for ten mins before opening for all methods

Last edited:

Nascar99

19w2eq.jpg

New fish.. Blue striped butterflyfish

Looked all around for this rare fish, even had an lfs quote me at 160$

But I got this little guy for 1/4 of that :)

It might not be that rare in places like Florida or California, but it took me a long time to find one in stock and not for an arm and a leg

Tons of personality, very energetic, destroys your live rock, macro algae and anything else alive tho so deff not for reefs :)

One misconception tho. At least so far in my experience, is butterfkyfish will not eat giant feather dusters such as the Hawaiian or coco worms unless they're bite size

Last edited:

Nascar99

Update and tips:

My new blue stripe is eating great. Most personality I've ever seen. Takes lip from NOONE he holds his ground. He gets along with all my fish and eats more aggressively than anyone. I've read on other sites he may be an obligate coral eater but I highly doubt that as mine eats clam, mysis, mega marine angel, nori, algae, blackworms, and I'll try dry tomorrow

A few tips if you want to try out butterfkyfish:

Always have live food when you order or buy one. Before you order or buy one make sure you have an lfs around who sells live food otherwise order some with your fish. Most don't take frozen right away, it's really the exception if they do. Live brine and live blackworms have always worked for me with blackworns being my go to. Thanks Paulb! If neither of those work you can go to your local grocery store and buy fresh clam, oyster, shellfish etc. And cut off little pieces and feed that. If they don't recognize the clam pieces I recommend buying the smallest clams you can find and put the whole clam in, no fish can resist just don't leave it in longer than 3 hours. After that you can wean them onto other foods over time

I also drip acclimate all my butterflies with the methods above in this thread

I also think they need peaceful tankmates. My most aggressive fish is a 2 inch coral beauty. Add them early in your stocking as they can't really defend themselves if you have an established powerhouse and a stressed fish won't eat especially a delicate fish like these

If your butterfly doesn't eat for a few days after you added them don't stress, just don't overfeed. They will learn in time, just keep trying live food 2-3 times a day. Some will never eat dry food and my raccoon will only eat certain foods if I hold them in my hand, I have no idea why. He will eat blackworms falling but won't eat clam that way, I have to hold it lol

I am absolutely not an expert, this I'd just what works for me in my tank

Last edited:

Talon33

Awesome tank. Love the rock and the butterfly fish. My 125g is also going to centered around butterfly fish. Are you sending them through QT. Also are you getting them at LFS or have you ordered any online. It is hard to find many people keeping butterfly fish due to their non reef-safeness.

Nascar99

I've been getting them online because I don't trust my lfs. The only lfs I have that I love is closing to spend more time with his family. I've bought fish from lfs only to be acclimating and under my bright t5 be able to see ich ( this was when I was a newb don't leave lights on when acclimating)

I have never used a qt. I kindve go with a theory I read paulb use that well fed fish can fight off disease. I believe this because when I had freshwater I added a fish with ich and he got covered in it but no signs on my other 7 fish and they lived 4 years and spawned

With that said, I'd love to use qt, but I'm a college student and am barely allowed to have one tank as I'm not the owner of the household. Also, where I have my tank set up I have so much electricity use that we can't plug a lot more in there or it causes the breaker to shut off lol. If I noticed fin rot or something absolutely horrible I'd set one up. But to me, taking a fish out and putting him through all that stresses the fish out worse and stress is what brings illness out and these fish are hard to get eating as is without copper etc. I think that's why people have such bad success with them. I mean my raccoon didn't eat the first week I got him. If I coppered him he may never have eaten. With that said, I understand qt these fish as I've read they are high risk disease carriers but I've never personally seen it

I know mine are not reef safe. They murdered a brain coral and nipped at my star polyps but they left my galaxy coral alone I guess it tastes bad

I think a 125 is the perfect tank for them, if I could I'd love that footprint over mine

If you do try them good luck! Like I said I'm no expert I just love these fish, one of my favorite animals in the world. The only reason I wanted a sw tank is for these fish! When I had to choose between corals and butterflies my choice was easy!

Last edited:

3dees

love the scape. makes the tank look bigger than a 75. I would think about adding anymore. they get big and a 75 isn't that large.hen 1.jpg I was planning my 120 gal. the same way but I decided I wanted some coral so no on a bf tank. I still wanted one so last week this guy came from my qt. heniochus diphreutes which is totally reef safe.

Nascar99

Very nice fish, they def get too big for my tank with the stock I have

I agree my tank is topped out at 3. Things I want to add in the future are a blood shrimp, and a pink/purple fish like an anthias or wrasse and that'll bring me to 8 fish which is kindve my equilibrium

Talon33

Love the heniochus.

When I had my reef going I did use a QT either. I did lose a PBT to ich and it seemed my fish would break out in ich every now and then. I feel you as I am a college student as well and funds and space are always on the slim side. However, I will probably invest in the supplies to have a QT. Just kinda nerve wracking with these fish but apparently they often have flukes.

So they don't bother the shrimp? I wasn't sure if they would both cleaner shrimp or not. I would like to have shrimp in my tank as well. I loved my last pair of skunks. If I kinda find some softies that they will leave alone I may put them in the tank as well.

Nascar99

No my skunk cleans them all the time!

A tiny shrimp might get bothered if it's an inch or under..

My snail doesn't get eaten either. One time he got flipped over and they picked at him but I don't know if they were eating him, the pods off his shell, or just his antennae bc he is still alive and well months later

One of mine did have flukes and I had to prazi my display, luckily my feather duster did make it which my fish don't bother either

Paul B

[QUOTE="

I have never used a qt. I kindve go with a theory I read paulb use that well fed fish can fight off disease. I believe this because when I had freshwater I added a fish with ich and he got covered in it but no signs on my other 7 fish and they lived 4 years and spawned

![/QUOTE]

Well fed enough "with the correct foods" to be in spawning condition, not just well fed on anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.