75 Gallon vs 100 Gallon Reef Tank

DaveK

I realize that you want something larger right away. However, this represents a major investment. I recommend you learn on your small tank for a year or so. Find out what your interested in keeping. Once you know that, then select the tank and the related equipment.

Now to try and answer your specific question. There is no one best tank size. This all comes back to what do you want to keep in the tank. Certainly it's nicer to have more water volume but there are other factors too. Consider the shape of the tank. Higher tanks give a big view area, but it makes a much longer reach for working on the tank. Tanks that are wide, front to back, let you do a much better looking aquascape. Tanks that are long work out better for fish like tangs that will swim in the open a lot.

Lastly, the tank is often one of the least expensive items in a SW reef system. Always consider the total cost of ownership, which includes all the filtration, skimming, lighting, and other equipment, plus the cost of electricity, food, and your time and effort.

Good luck.

Lord Cruise

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes I really wanted something large for my 2nd tank, I've been dying to have a reef tank for more than 20 years now but my fear of failure to maintain one held me back. (I used to have a 50Gallon & 75Gallon FW tank). Now after I was able to stabilize my 1st tank, the eagerness to have a bigger one is eating me up. Thanks to your advice, it really calmed me down and made me think on planning what I realy wanted to keep in my tank.

I will start with making a list of the things I want in my tank and post it here soon. Hope to get feedback from you regarding my list.

Again, thank you for your advice.

saintsreturn

Welcome and congratulations on getting the bug! I have a 75 and have been very happy with it's over all size. It's not so big that it commands the room and it's large enough to handle what I chose to do with it.

As previously mentioned, build your parts list and see how the differences range in what you will need. Things add up very quickly and tank sizes typically require more coin as you go larger. Tanks themselves are never the expensive part.

Knowing what direction you want to go in regards to display, cost, and inhabitants will determine your size for you. Post up questions and learn with the rest of us. If I could do it all over again, I would have gone with more time in my 29g so I could have built up more coin for the tank I wanted.

But hey, I love what I have and you will to!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk