730 Gal reef tank sand

cumbeje

I have a 730 gal reef tank setup for over a year now. I was wondering what everybody thoughts are on vacuuming sand layer in tank? I do a 35 gal a week water changed and noticed when i get to the bottom a lot of dirt is in sand. I have about a 1/2 in sand layer.

Also, I have read so many different opinions on sand layer depth. Should I add more sand to tank or just leave alone. Sometimes I see glass bottom at areas and I do not like that look.

sambrinar

I am under the impression to NEVER disturb the sand bed.. just get critters to stir it up for you. there are lots of nasties in there that can cause gloom and doom for the tank..

and you post this with out PICTS!! Shame on you

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I personally would go with about 2-3" of sand on the bottom. I also wouldn't siphon the sand bed just leave it alone to do it's job.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here's my
two_cents_0.jpg
on sand bed and depth..

If you're not going DSB you need to stay under 2" or so. DSB needs to be in excess of 4" to provide anaerobic area to make it worth while.

If you only have 1/2" of sand you don't have any "Gas Pockets" to really worry about unless you get over the 1" depth and then it's iffy. I routinely get into my DSB 1/2" or more with no ill effects.

I don't know what your long-term goal is but if you want to add more sand you can but do it using a PVC pipe and funnel to minimize the cloudy factor (and it will be UBER cloudy).

BobBursek

I would use a Python sand vaccumm/cleaner but only do sections at a time so you do not loose all of the good things in there, also I would add another 1/2 as BigAl said and stay away from a star fish in there, they eat all the good stuff in there you want to keep. some Nassuarian snails are good for the sand bed. I have a Crushed Coral bed and I have PH's blow across the bed but the crabs love the detrious that is still there.

BobBursek

John,
I have done some thought on your tank, first I do not know how much exposed sand you have not under rock and what you have in your tank as far as LS and Corals, that would help us answer your question. I take my pick up thong "not the foundation" and use my Mag Float to stur up my substrate on a weekly basis, I have done that since day one, so my advice is do that but start slowly and maybe run a filter sock when you do it, and watch your skimmer. If you have fish they love it and so do some of the corals, it is food in the water colume.

MrPex

I have a 6 inch spider conch (12 bucks) in my 60 to stir the sand... had it in there for about 6 months now and he's happy... does a GREAT job stirring the sand by dragging his heavy shell around and using his foot to push himself around with. He also eat the hell out of anything ON the sand- great for diatoms (which I initially got him for.)

I will ALWAYS have conchs for sand cleaners/sifters from now on!!!