6th Period Biology

AlcatrazE

Yea... Hence the name of the forum: "Wooster High School science dept.", im not even in 6th period though...still....

GeeWizzItsMe

It removes excess waste produced by livestock (poop) and other nasty nutrients. It helps keep the water clean and healthy!

Craig Manoukian

Protein skimmers use air bubbles to attract and export DOCs (Dissolved Organic Compounds) from the water column. As Chris pointed out fish fesces is an organic compound, and while a protein skimmer won't remove the solid form of feces or detritus (eg. excess food), once these organic compounds begin to rot or decompose, the venturi vortex of the protein skimmer creates bubbles to which the DOCs attach. Cellulose is one of the major DOCs that is removed.

The DOC covered bubbles are forced into a collection cup thus removing them from the water column. If you go to an shore line you will see sea foam which is the natural process a protein skimmer replicates.

Ciao,
Craig

Craig Manoukian

Any time Michael (and Chris), that's what we're all here for. Michael check your karma on the front page under your screen name and avatar on the left hand side of the page.

Let me know what grade you get from Mr. Moore!

kiwikiwi90

"Hello kiwikiwi90 it looks like you haven't posted in a while. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

Don't force me to whip you with a strand of caulerpa!"

This pops up on every page I go too and I always read it thinking it's really super important; you know since it appears at the top of the screen. Anyways, I was wondering what exactly is a strand of caulerpa?

kiwikiwi90

"Caulerpa is common in the aquarium hobby as a nitrate absorber because of its rapid growth under relatively adverse conditions. It may also be used in refugiums for a long term nitrite absorber. Many introductions of invasive Caulerpa to the wild are thought to have occurred via aquarium dumping."
-Wikipedia

It's good if nitrate is absorbed from a tank, right?
Does this mean that it would be a good idea to put some caulerpa in the tank?

Craig Manoukian

Cheatomorpha is a much better nitrate/phosphate absorber in my opion. No asexual issues to deal with.

Asexual is when the caulerpa goes into it's reproductive cycle and realeases all of the nitrates/phosphates back into the water column.

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Cheatomorpha is a much better nitrate/phosphate absorber in my opion. No asexual issues to deal with.

Asexual is when the caulerpa goes into it's reproductive cycle and realeases all of the nitrates/phosphates back into the water column.

Thanks Craig! :thumbup: We have Cheatomorpha in the tank Kiwi and I will show you where it is tomorrow! :bouncer:

vdituri

Hey, how many credits do I get if I take this class?
I think I could learn alot reading this thread.:wave: